Macro Express Forums

automating a macro with promtps

fjslan

I have created a macro that, at this moment is working great! I have decided to not leave well enough alone and the try and make the macro more user friendly (funny seeing how i am the only one using the macro:)

at one point in time I have to enter text into a form. the problem is that the FORM changes ever so slightly from form to form or day to day...for example today the form asks for

NAME ONE then tab to the next box...

NAME TWO then tab to the next box...

MISC then tab to the next box...

MISC then tab to a box that needs to be unchecked...

text type (space bar) then tab to the next box than needs a check...

text type Ispace bar)... and so on.

this part of my script looks like this...

// FILL IN THE REGISTRATION FORM

// text type NAME ONE

Text Type: %T1%<TAB>

Delay 0.25 Seconds

// text type NAME TWO

Text Type: %T2%<TAB><TAB><TAB>

Delay 0.25 Seconds

// text type MISC ONE

Text Type: %N3% %T4%<TAB><TAB>

Delay 0.25 Seconds

// text type MISC TWO

Text Type: %T5%<TAB>

Delay 0.25 Seconds

// text type - UNCHECK box

Text Type: <TAB>

Delay 0.25 Seconds

// text type - CHECK box

Text Type: <TAB>

Delay 0.25 Seconds

THE PROBLEM IS THAT TOMORROW THE FORM IS GOING TO ASK FOR THE EXACT SAME INFORMATION BUT IN A DIFFERENT ORDER....IE

NAME ONE - UNCHECK BOX - MISC ONE - NAME TWO - CHECK BOX - AND THATS IT.

Right now if the form changes...I have to go into ME and move the pices of info around by hand...

I would like to put in one MULTIPLE CHOICE MENU, if possible, or multiple MULTIPLE CHOICE menus that will ask...

What if the first "box" to be filled? I would then check off NAME ONE

then the next multiple choice question would be "What is the second box to be filled? I might check off "UNCHECK"

etc.

In aperfect world one menu would pop up with 15-20 options on it and I would number the option that I need in the order to be filled on the form. IE

1 name one

2 name two

3 misc

4 uncheck box

5 check box

ANY IDEAS?

HELP...

Thanks in advance...

Frank

I like the way you think: "It works, but it's boring, so let's make it elegant."

A name one

B name two

C misc

D uncheck box

E check box

How about this: You're dealing with 5 fields, the variation being their order on the form. Associate a letter with with each field, as above. In a text file or via a ME input inquiry, enter the sequence of the fields as they are today. "ABCDE" or "BCEAD" or "DCAEB" or whatever. Then code a repeat loop to pick up one character at a time, do the action associated with that field, tab to the next field, repeat until all 5 fields have been completed.

It's kind of the same thing you described with your multiple-choice menu, only more compact than making a menu to cover all the possibilities.

If the form only changes daily, then I like the text file idea (or an environment variable) to store the field sequence, because then you can enter it once and use it all day long, rather than re-enter it each time.