Macro Express Forums

Zonealarm Alert For Macro Express

writejb

For some reason, ZoneAlarm throws an alert the first time after rebooting that I execute a macro using Macro Express (http://www.macros.com/). I'm executing the macro with a keyboard shortcut.

Rating: Medium

Type: Unknown

Program: MacExp.exe

... and all the other fields in the "Alerts and Logs" page are blank.

Why is this, and how do I stop it from happening? MacroExpress does not seem to be trying to access the Internet in any way when I run the macro.

Thanks,

Writejb

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition

Product Names:

ZoneAlarm (free), Software Version: 5.5

Macro Express version 3.5b build 1

I have used Zonealarm for many years. Free version and Pro version, but I never had an entry of MacroExpress in Zonealarm or a message in Zonealarm coming from Macroexpress. I could only imagine that you are activating Macroexpress on another PC in the LAN. If so, Zonealarm would ask you to allow Macroexpress to access the local LAN, which should be granted. So you simply have to Security-Advanced-Local Zone and add the necessary entries for your LAN subnet and the IP range following the online help of Zonealarm.

I have used Zonealarm for many years. Free version and Pro version, but I never had an entry of MacroExpress in Zonealarm or a message in Zonealarm coming from Macroexpress.

It triggered an ZA alert in my system. I wonder if not Macro Express, per se, but the Macro Express editor being set to launch when Windows starts up?

Hey, thanks for the responses!

I suspect that's Macro Express checking for program updates

I don't think so. When Macro Express does try to access the Internet (for example, Help/On the Web/Home Page), ZA displays a proper Alert message with the Allow and Deny buttons and IP addresses. The ZoneAlarm alert message I get when I execute a macro does not allow me to take any action (except click OK to acknowledge the Alert).

I could only imagine that you are activating Macroexpress on another PC in the LAN.

I don't think Macro Express is trying to access another computer when I run a macro--or if it is, it's doing a very bad job of it. According to ZoneAlarm's Alert, the Type is "unknown", there is no Source IP, no Destination IP, no Direction (incoming or outgoing), and ZA does not allow me to take any action (except click OK to acknowledge the Alert). The macro that caused the alert today should be harmless--it just copies text, types in some more text, and pastes the copied text back in. The macro is specific to one program on my computer (Adobe FrameMaker).

I wonder if not Macro Express, per se, but the Macro Express editor being set to launch when Windows starts up?

Macro Express is already running well before I try to execute the first macro. I don't have it set to auto-start when Windows boots up--I start it manually when I need it.

So I suspect Macro Express is doing something else to honk off ZoneAlarm, but I haven't a clue what. It appears ZA isn't clear on what the problem in, given that the Type is "Unknown".

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd be happy to try them.

Thanks,

Writejb

You havn't provided any information about the LAN you are using.

I can only report that once I installed a program using a Program.exe file on physically in a directory of another computer in the LAN and hoped, as most other programs it would be installed in c:\programs of my local PC, but it wasn't. If this happens, everytime you use the program, it will be started on the other computer, not your local PC. In this case your macro can have an effect on your local Zonealarm.

So you better deinstall Macroexpress and after cleaning your registry Reinstall it with a downloaded programversion stored in a local directory on your local PC.

You havn't provided any information about the LAN you are using.

I'm not using a LAN. The computer is connected to an ADSL modem.

I can only report that once I installed a program using a Program.exe file on physically in a directory of another computer in the LAN

Not much chance of that. I doubt very much my ISP would allow me to install any programs on their servers :-).

Thanks,

Writejb

I had the same problem a few months ago with StopZilla (a popup killer) : the previous version was ok but this new one considered MacroExpress as a spyware or something like that and automatically killed it !! nobody from StopZill never answered my questions (how could I specify that this prog is ok) so I had to choose between an excellent popup killer and Macro Express : I installed the Google toolbar ;)

Macro Express uses the 'Windows Hooks' to watch for macro activations. Some Malware programs use the Windows Hooks to log keystrokes and perform other bad stuff. It is possible that Zone Alarm is detecting this activity and warning you about it.

AntiVirus Firewall Spyware and Adware vendors have begun adding features to check for more and different malware. For example, Norton Internet Security is now checking for adware where previous versions did not.

Writejb: Are you using Zone Alarm (just the firewall) or the Zone Alarm Security Suite (Firewall/antivirus/anti adware)?

Are you using Zone Alarm (just the firewall) or the Zone Alarm Security Suite (Firewall/antivirus/anti adware)?

I'm using the freeware version of just the firewall (ZoneAlarm (Software Version: 5.5). One other thing is that the problem is not consistent. It's not repeatable every time. And it only happens once when it does happen. After acknowledging the ZA alert, I can go ahead and fire off macros without any additional alerts.

Thanks,

Writejb