Macro Express Forums

Send to option in windows without mouse placement

tocmo0nlord

I have a specific file that i right click on, send to and choose a program to send it over (this is the only way it works.) the file within the folder changes location from time to time as the other files get updated although the file name itself always stay the same.

Is there a way i can make macro express recognize the file name within the folder and with shortcut keys perform the right click, send to.. > program link ?

the file would stay on top on the folder if the Date modified was descending.

thank you!!

I have a specific file that i right click on, send to and choose a program to send it over (this is the only way it works.) the file within the folder changes location from time to time as the other files get updated although the file name itself always stay the same.

Is there a way i can make macro express recognize the file name within the folder and with shortcut keys perform the right click, send to.. > program link ?

the file would stay on top on the folder if the Date modified was descending.

thank you!!

IMO, there's not really enough detail for anyone to give you a confident answer. What steps exactly do you want the macro to perform? As a basis, describe every step you take yourself to perform the operation manually. Along these lines:

1) Open a Windows Explorer/My Computer folder called ffffffffff.

2) Locate a file called xyz.ext. This will always be the most recent file in this folder. Manually, this is done visually, or by sorting to Date Modified (Descending) and choosing the top entry. (Unless it was already in that sequence, in which case such an operation would reverse the order.] There is a a good reason why this file cannot be named in such a way that it is always alphabetically first, so that approach to its consistent location cannot be used.

3) R-click it.

4) From the R-click menu select Send To...

5) In the Send To folder left click the entry called yyyyyyyy, the name of the program (with full path and filename of zzzzzzzzzz.exe). The file cannot be run by the usual method of associating it with zzzzzzzzz.exe in Tools > Folder Options >File Types and then d-clicking the file. [Are you 100% sure of that?]

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

IMO, there's not really enough detail for anyone to give you a confident answer. What steps exactly do you want the macro to perform? As a basis, describe every step you take yourself to perform the operation manually. Along these lines:

1) Open a Windows Explorer/My Computer folder called ffffffffff.

2) Locate a file called xyz.ext. This will always be the most recent file in this folder. Manually, this is done visually, or by sorting to Date Modified (Descending) and choosing the top entry. (Unless it was already in that sequence, in which case such an operation would reverse the order.] There is a a good reason why this file cannot be named in such a way that it is always alphabetically first, so that approach to its consistent location cannot be used.

3) R-click it.

4) From the R-click menu select Send To...

5) In the Send To folder left click the entry called yyyyyyyy, the name of the program (with full path and filename of zzzzzzzzzz.exe). The file cannot be run by the usual method of associating it with zzzzzzzzz.exe in Tools > Folder Options >File Types and then d-clicking the file. [Are you 100% sure of that?]

--

All of the 5 points are correct.

2) Only constant advantages on the file is that 1, file will always be the same name, 2, file will always be the most recently updated

5) I have tried and failed. If there is an action that could be performed in the advanced options on the File Types settings in folder options I'm all ears, i can associate the file extension to the program but when i double click the file i get an error

All of the 5 points are correct.

2) Only constant advantages on the file is that 1, file will always be the same name, 2, file will always be the most recently updated

5) I have tried and failed. If there is an action that could be performed in the advanced options on the File Types settings in folder options I'm all ears, i can associate the file extension to the program but when i double click the file i get an error

As you've confirmed my description of your requirement is accurate then you should simply be able to open the file with a trivial macro like the one following. You haven't specified the file's name, extension or path, or the program you are opening it with. So in this example I've assumed it's called xyz.txt in a folder called ffff and you want to run it in Notepad. Note that the macro assumes you already have the folder somewhere on your desktop, possibly minimised or inactive.

// Example for tocmo0nlord
// Open the file \ffff\xyz.txt in the program Notepad.exe
Activate or Launch: "Notepad" OR "Notepad.exe"
Macro Return

And here's the code for pasting into Direct Editor.

<REM2:Example for tocmo0nlord><REM2:Open the file \ffff\xyz.txt in the program Norepad.exe><LAUNCHYES3:0:0112Notepad<LAUNCH:Notepad.exe<PARAM>C:\Docs\SUNDRY\Misc\ffff\xyz.txt><MRETURN>

Just adapt that to your own case.

If it doesn't work you'll need to spell out

- your macro (commands and actual code)

- exactly what happens, with details of any error messages

- your file and program details

--

As you've confirmed my description of your requirement is accurate then you should simply be able to open the file with a trivial macro like the one following. You haven't specified the file's name, extension or path, or the program you are opening it with. So in this example I've assumed it's called xyz.txt in a folder called ffff and you want to run it in Notepad. Note that the macro assumes you already have the folder somewhere on your desktop, possibly minimised or inactive.

// Example for tocmo0nlord
// Open the file \ffff\xyz.txt in the program Notepad.exe
Activate or Launch: "Notepad" OR "Notepad.exe"
Macro Return

And here's the code for pasting into Direct Editor.

<REM2:Example for tocmo0nlord><REM2:Open the file \ffff\xyz.txt in the program Norepad.exe><LAUNCHYES3:0:0112Notepad<LAUNCH:Notepad.exe<PARAM>C:\Docs\SUNDRY\Misc\ffff\xyz.txt><MRETURN>

Just adapt that to your own case.

If it doesn't work you'll need to spell out

- your macro (commands and actual code)

- exactly what happens, with details of any error messages

- your file and program details

--

I received an error but fixed it by adding quotes as it could not read the space after documents and settings

"c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Porgram\Common\file.001"

but yea, it did the job THanks!!