Macro Express Forums

Macro to select a menu item or sub menu item

jrizzo

I've explored Macro Express and can't find out how to do this. It seems like something very basic that should be in ME..

I'd like to create a macro that selects a menu item or sub-menu item. In many programs, some menu items do not have keyboard shortcuts assigned to them. Being able to create a macro for such items and assign a hot key to activate them would be great.

Is this function in ME and I've simply overlooked it? I'd prefer being able to select the menu item directly without having to record selection of the menu item.

I found a post that was similar to this request, but it was posted in 2007 - quite old. So I created a new topic in the hopes it would be read/responded to. Thanks in advance for any input. :)

I've explored Macro Express and can't find out how to do this. It seems like something very basic that should be in ME..

I'd like to create a macro that selects a menu item or sub-menu item. In many programs, some menu items do not have keyboard shortcuts assigned to them. Being able to create a macro for such items and assign a hot key to activate them would be great.

Is this function in ME and I've simply overlooked it? I'd prefer being able to select the menu item directly without having to record selection of the menu item.

I found a post that was similar to this request, but it was posted in 2007 - quite old. So I created a new topic in the hopes it would be read/responded to. Thanks in advance for any input. :)

I take it you've tried simply clicking the appropriate menus with the mouse, while hiding the activity? You could also try Controls; lots in Help on that topic.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

A while ago I submitted this as a feature request, so lets hope it's included in Macro Express 4. For the time being, you need to set a sequence of keystrokes to select the menu item. If the menu item does not have a Alt shortcut, I usually use the arrow keys to move to it.

Edit:

You could also run a AutoIT script to directly select a menu item, something like this:

<REM2:Put a linefeed in T95><ASCIIC:95:1:13><ASCIIC:96:1:10><TVAR2:95:01:%T95%%T96%><REM2:><REM2:Launch notepad><LAUNCHDEL2:1:00C:\WINDOWS\notepad.exe><WAITWIN2:000010:000000:Untitled - Notepad><REM2:><REM2:Set window title><TVAR2:01:01:Untitled - Notepad><REM2:><REM2:Set menu title><TVAR2:02:01:F&ormat><REM2:><REM2:Set menu item><TVAR2:03:01:&Font...><REM2:><REM2:Create the autoit script><TVAR2:04:01:#NoTrayIcon%T95%AutoItSetOption ("WinTitleMatchMode", 2)%T95%WinMenuSelectItem("%T1%", "", "%T2%", "%T3%")><TMVAR2:17:04:00:000:000:C:\Directly select menu item.au3F><REM2:><REM2:Run the autoit script><LAUNCHDEL2:1:00C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\AutoIt3.exe<PARAM>"C:\Directly select menu item.au3"><REM2:><REM2:Delete and autoit script><DOFILE:08:NN:C:\Directly select menu item.au3>>

• 6 months later...

Sincere apologies for the very late reply to those who responded to my post. I got so frustrated in trying to resolve this issue to my liking that I just gave up and have just now revisited the issue.

Your responses are much appreciated. However, I still can't believe that something as simple as selecting a menu item or sub menu item is so complicated in Macro Express. I looked at the Controls section in the ME help file and found nothing that clearly explained how to accomplish what I wanted to do. I also tried capturing the menu selection - which worked but is very lame as I have to watch the entire process as the menu item is selected during playback of the macro. Even on fast playback, this seems very clunky.

As a Mac user too, I guess I'm spoiled. I can easily create a menu selection macro in a number of programs by simply selecting the Menu function, then choosing the menu item directly - simple and elegant. I don't have to watch as multiple steps are played back. The macro programs are smart enough to select the menu item in a single step.

Menu selection is one of the most basic functions in virtually every Windows program and any macro program should provide an easy & elegant way to create & playback macros that perform this function. Any macro program should also have the ability to easily:

- Redefine shortcut keys already assigned within a program

- Select a menu/sub menu from the right-click pop up menu

Until Macro Express provides a simpler, more elegant way of accomplishing the above, having a video tutorial on the way(s) one can create a menu/sub menu selection macro would be extremely helpful.

Again, thanks for the replies to my original post. Your input is much appreciated. I look forward to any and all improvements to Macro Express.