Macro Express Forums

Toggle Windows Firewall On/Off using ME?

dlegate

Can ME3 toggle the Windows Firewall On or Off without going through the process of loading the Control Panel window, and selecting the options?

Is there a Registry entry that controls this?

On my computer it is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\EnableFirewall

Set it to 0 to disable Windows firewall, or 1 should you want to use it. I prefer to use Comodo firewall.

On my computer it is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\EnableFirewall

Set it to 0 to disable Windows firewall, or 1 should you want to use it. I prefer to use Comodo firewall.

Ah yes... I prefer to use ZoneAlarm, however my corporate network requires Windows Firewall be on when I connect to its wireless... lame. So I'm looking for a way to quickly turn it on before connecting.

Thanks for the registry tip!

Using that, here's my "Toggle Windows Firewall" Macro with confirmation Prompt, if anyone is interested:

<REM2:Set N2 to 2  - if choice is canceled it should remain 2><IVAR2:02:01:2><REGRINT:1:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\EnableFirewall><SWITCH:N1><CASE:1><REM2:No real need to set T1 here, but can use it for other conditionals if desired><MENU2:1:T:01:CenterCenter:Toggle Firewall OFF?It appears the Windows Firewall is ON
Turn it OFF?Turn Off><IVAR2:02:01:0><ENDCASE><CASE:0><MENU2:1:T:01:CenterCenter:Toggle Firewall ON?It appears the Windows Firewall is OFF
Turn it ON?Turn On><IVAR2:02:01:1><ENDCASE><ENDSWITCH><REM2:For Debugging - normally next two lines should be disabled><DIS:<TBOX4:T:1:CenterCenter000278000200:000:T1 is %T1%
N1 is %N1%\
N2 is %N2%><DIS:<MSTOP><REM2:The macro SHOULD stop of they hit Cancel, but this is just in case.><IFVAR2:2:02:2:2><REGWINT:2:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\EnableFirewall><ENDIF>

Seems to work great! Suggestions for improvement welcome.