Macro Express Forums

MacroExpress not detecting right mouse click

kistonewa

I have several macros which pause until a right click is detected. They have worked well for several months. Today they won't work. I wrote a macro that only pauses 400ms then waits for a right click then pops up a dialog box. I never make it to the dialog box. If I put a time limit on the wait, it times out every time. I tried this is several programs, including notepad, without making a difference. The ME version is 3.5.4.1. Running WinXP version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.080814-1233 : Service Pack 2) . This is a computer in the Emergency Department. I am a physician, and I do not have access to update any program. I don't know if there is a new Windows patch that changes things or what.

What step should I take next in troubleshooting this?

Hi Kiston,

I'm not an "expert" but I wonder if this could be something as simple as the mouse is not plugged in properly, or the batteries are dead? If it's an old mouse, maybe the mouse is dying?

It doesn't seem like this would be an issue of needing a software update (?) I guess maybe if you were using a thirdparty mouse (that didn't come with the computer) and then if someone installed some new software on the PC or the server, then maybe that could conflict with the mouse driver.... This seems unlikely though.

Do you have a middle mouse button? If that works, but the right-button doesn't then you'd know it was a faulty mouse....

Maybe the others will have better ideas ... -sk

I have several macros which pause until a right click is detected. They have worked well for several months. Today they won't work. I wrote a macro that only pauses 400ms then waits for a right click then pops up a dialog box. I never make it to the dialog box. If I put a time limit on the wait, it times out every time. I tried this is several programs, including notepad, without making a difference. The ME version is 3.5.4.1. Running WinXP version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.080814-1233 : Service Pack 2) . This is a computer in the Emergency Department. I am a physician, and I do not have access to update any program. I don't know if there is a new Windows patch that changes things or what.

Hi Kistonewa,

Is this what your code looks like?

Activate or Launch: "notepad" OR "notepad.exe"
Delay 400 Milliseconds
Wait Right Mouse Click
Text Box Display: Hello

Just by looking at this, I don't see any reason for a delay of 400 milliseconds. The Wait Right Mouse Click should be

sufficient.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "I never make it to the dialog box." Are you saying that the macro is freezing

or simply not getting past the Delay command? If so, I would say a simple fix is to get rid of the delay, since it isn't

really necessary (if it is anything like what I put up above).

It's possible that the problem is in the Wait Right Mouse Click command... in which case, I would have to agree

with steveK, that the problem could be in the mouse connection, or possibly mouse drivers.

As far as Windows updates affecting the macro, that's possible, too, though I wouldn't know for sure. My macro runs

fine, but that doesn't mean anything when we're running two very different systems. Your ME is a little out of date,

though. I'm running 3.7.4.1 (unless the 5 was a type-o in your post). Upgrading within build 3.x should be quick and free.

One other thought I have... I have had occasions where I've set a delay to 500 seconds, thinking I had selected mil-

liseconds, and I thought there was a problem with the macro... until I discovered it was all my fault. I hesitate to say

this is the problem you're having, since you said you have been using this macro for a while, but it's still a thought.

One other thing you might try in addition to the suggestions from both Steves is Tools > Restore Mouse Hooks

That 'Seconds' instead of 'Milliseconds' mistake has caught me out several times!

:rolleyes:

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Just another guess here: In the macro script editor, click the Scope tab and make sure it is a Global macro, and not limited to one particular window title or program name.

The fact that it has worked OK until recently says that there can't be too much that is wrong. I believe most ME installations come with a system macro (CTRL_ALT_0) that will shut down and restart ME. That's worth a try.

That 'Seconds' instead of 'Milliseconds' mistake has caught me out several times!

Me too, and I came up with a solution for the Scripting Editor, since I almost always use milliseconds instead of seconds:

1. Create a new macro, and choose "Window Title" as the activation.

2. Set the window title to "Set Delay".

3. Set the scope to program to "MACEDIT.EXE".

4. Enter this two line script:

Text Type: <ALT>m

Text Type: <TAB>

The only problem is that you must type the value quickly, as the macro gets reactivated every time a character is typed! Not perfect, but a start...