Macro Express Forums

Context Help?

ver. 3, had help button, at various points;

example, I'm at mulitple choice window; used to be a HELP button, context helpl.

In ver. 4, I can't find context help, for when I'm at a specific topic

thansk

Nick

I don't have ME Pro at work, so I can't look for a Help button for you. However, I do know that F1 still

works just as it did in ME 3.x to bring up the specific help file (I know for certain because I used it...

possibly because I didn't see the help button, either).

• 2 weeks later...
Steve is correct. Press F1 anywhere in the editors for context help.

But only the editors it seems? No context help is available elsewhere. For example, under the Activation tab I d-click the entry to bring up the Scheduled dialog, but F1 does nothing. If I close that and try F1 (to get help on Activations in general, as a second best), F1 brings up help on Script Editor.

This seems a significant loss of functionality. ME 3 has context help accessible in every dialog. For example, the Help button in its equivalent Set Schedule dialog immediately displays what I need.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Pressing F1 when the Activations tab is focused should bring up the context help for activations. This issue has been entered into our tracking system (and marked as 'found by' you, Terry). The tracking number is [iSS6354].

OK, thanks Kevin. But are you entering this only as a bug (re F1 under Activation) or as a request to restore the major loss in function from ME 3 (a Context Help button in every dialog)?

--

OK, thanks Kevin. But are you entering this only as a bug (re F1 under Activation) or as a request to restore the major loss in function from ME 3 (a Context Help button in every dialog)?

--

?

--

I vote to leave the help buttons off. Everywhere in every Windows application F1, A Windows standard, should bring up help and this negates the need for more button clutter. I think it's a bit dramatic to characterize this cleaner interface as a "Major loss of functionality". Personally I never needed it and don't want to see it come back. But that's just my opinion.

On the other hand I believe that F1 should work everywhere in MEP and I know I wrote up several places it was missing in the beta version which ISS fixed. But I'd like to suggest that perhaps they take a moment to go thru every screen and every dialog and audit for F1 as it does seem to be missing in several places. If they don't have the time they can hire me and I'll do it for a nominal fee. :)

I vote to leave the help buttons off. Everywhere in every Windows application F1, A Windows standard, should bring up help and this negates the need for more button clutter. I think it's a bit dramatic to characterize this cleaner interface as a "Major loss of functionality". Personally I never needed it and don't want to see it come back. But that's just my opinion.

On the other hand I believe that F1 should work everywhere in MEP and I know I wrote up several places it was missing in the beta version which ISS fixed. But I'd like to suggest that perhaps they take a moment to go thru every screen and every dialog and audit for F1 as it does seem to be missing in several places. If they don't have the time they can hire me and I'll do it for a nominal fee. :)

Although I'd prefer a Help button in every dialog, I'd be happy enough with F1 as long as it provided exactly the same functionality. At present it plainly doesn't. As I've described, in some dialogs F1 does nothing. And in some it displays help that's not about the specific context. As well as Activation, further examples of the latter are the tabs for Variables, Miscellaneous, Scope, Security and Notes, all of which display general help for the Script Editor, leaving you to find the section you want. Neither of these shortcomings applied to ME 3. Which is why I believe it's fair to describe it as I have.

--