Jump to content
Macro Express Forums

Macro responds sporatically or not at all to window gaining focus


Recommended Posts

I had a macro in ME3 that responded to a window title gaining focus. It worked fine. The macro converted to ME Pro worked for a time, then stopped working. No other macro uses this activation. I wrote a test macro in ME Pro with the same activation, which does nothing more than beep. I disabled the original macro so there would be no conflicts. The test macro also worked for a time, then worked every *other* time(!), then finally stopped responding altogether. If I shut down ME Pro and reactivate ME3 the original ME3 macro still works fine. Any explanations for this bizarre behavior?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a macro in ME3 that responded to a window title gaining focus. It worked fine. The macro converted to ME Pro worked for a time, then stopped working. No other macro uses this activation. I wrote a test macro in ME Pro with the same activation, which does nothing more than beep. I disabled the original macro so there would be no conflicts. The test macro also worked for a time, then worked every *other* time(!), then finally stopped responding altogether. If I shut down ME Pro and reactivate ME3 the original ME3 macro still works fine. Any explanations for this bizarre behavior?

 

If you post the code (of the simplest version that exhibits the problem) I'll try it.

 

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have not seen anything like that. My only suggesting would be to ensure that the window is actually gaining focus. Realize just because it's on top doesn't mean it has focus. The next time it doesn't activate on the new window try clicking on th window title bar to ensure it's focused.

 

I have found that on my system something is stealing focused leaving 'nothing' on top. I think it has to do with Remote Desktop and apps running on the other side but I'm not sure. In any case ME will miss it until I do as I described above.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the suggestions and offers of help. The test macro is essentially one line: Beep. I am sure that the activating window has the focus. During my tests I launched the activating window many times in succession, always under the same conditions. Sometimes the macro ran; other times it didn't (while in ME 3 it always ran). Strangely, I'm finding that now both the original macro and the test macro are working once again! Perhaps there's something strange about my system, though I'm sure I don't know what it is.

 

BTW, I hit upon the following clumsy, but workable, workaround that might possibly be of use to others. The working macro (as opposed to the test macro) is quite complex, and I'd thoroughly rewritten it with some changes in switching to ME Pro. I didn't want to go back and update the macro in ME 3, so I exported the ME Pro macro as a playable macro, then wrote a simple macro in ME 3 (which does consistently respond to the activating window); this macro launches the ME Pro playable macro. This requires, of course, that both ME 3 and ME Pro be installed on the system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...