Macro Express Forums

Unhelpful syntax error messages

The messages about syntax errors in ME Pro are not explicit, a backward step from ME 3.

For example, I have an 'orphan' End If command at the end of a long macro. In ME 3, when I save it from Script Editor I get this helpful message:

You have an extra "EndIf" command that does not have a matching "If" command. The macro will ignore this command. However, its placement may not be what you intend and could cause the macro not to function as expected.

Would you like to make the necessary changes now?

But in ME Pro, I get this far less helpful message, leaving me to search for the error(s).

The macro, "Test", contains syntax errors. Do you want to save the macro anyway?

I've posted a Feature Request for the restoration of this.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

• 4 years later...

A forum reply after almost 5 years has to be some sort of record!

But I did get this prompt reply from Insight to my request in January 2009:

Actually, Macro Express Pro is bit more helpful in this regard. After you clear the error message, down at the bottom of the window, please click on the "Messages" tab. This will show you a list of all of the errors that were detected in the macro. Also, you double-click on any of those errors to be taken right to where the error occurs. We chose to do it this way so that you are notified about all of the errors at once, instead of being notified about one error at a time, the way Macro 3 does it.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK