Macro Express Forums

Variable Restore not working

I understand from Cory's post at the end of this thread that this serious bug (Variable Restore not working) was reported back in November. Has it been fixed yet please? When will a patch be available? I'm going to have to return to ME 3 to write any macros using common variables, which is a real nuisance.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I received several "Issue has been resolved" emails last week and 6184 (Variable Restore) was one of them. Generally I get several resolution emails like this just a day or two before a new build so I anticipate it at any moment.

I too am anxiously awaiting this as I am holding off rolling out MEP to my main client until it is resolved.

I received several "Issue has been resolved" emails last week and 6184 (Variable Restore) was one of them. Generally I get several resolution emails like this just a day or two before a new build so I anticipate it at any moment.

I too am anxiously awaiting this as I am holding off rolling out MEP to my main client until it is resolved.

I'm puzzled, as I've just had an email reply from Stan saying that this was fixed and is working in the current release. (Although Stan points out that this now only works in Global Variables, not Local, not that that bothers me as I barely understand the distinction!)

Although I've replied to Stan, saying that doesn't square with my understanding, after a little more thought I wonder if there's some ambiguity about the problem?

The reason I'm saying it doesn't work is illustrated in this composite screenshot:

MEPro-Variables-1.jpg

So, the issue here is that when writing Macro2 I'm not getting access to the variable I defined in Macro1. Is that what others are finding?

If so, is that a bug or what you could generously call a design flaw? IOW, that you have to create the variable again in every new macro (with exactly the right name)?

--

So, the issue here is that when writing Macro2 I'm not getting access to the variable I defined in Macro1. Is that what others are finding?

If so, is that a bug or what you could generously call a design flaw? IOW, that you have to create the variable again in every new macro (with exactly the right name)?

--

Hey Terry,

I had the same problem with a different macro that I posted back a while ago. It would work fine, pulling the correct info when the 2nd

macro was still just a line or two, but once the macro got complex, macro 2 forgot that the variable it was pulling was a Date/Time variable

and started treating it as a Text variable. It was inconvenient, but I just went in and defined the variable as a D/T within the 2nd macro.

After that it worked fine.

Honestly, it should have worked without reiterating its definition in the second macro (once defined and Saved/Restored, it should stay

defined), but that was a work-around that didn't really change the macro, just took an extra step in the building of it.

Terry,

I think you are misunderstanding how these command works. When you use the Variable Save command, the values for the variables are saved in virtual memory on your computer. Once you close Macro Express or shut down Windows, the values are lost.

The variables are not automatically created in another macro when using the Variable Restore command. The values are available for use, grabbing the values from memory.

These command work the same way in Macro Express 3. If you save variable T1, then just select variable T1 in the second macro. The only difference in the Pro version is with named variables. If you restore a named variable from macro 1, you will need to define it first in order to use it in the second macro.

Hopefully this helps.

I can tell you for a fact that Variable Restore is not working. I have correspondence that they just fixed it last week so there is no way it is in the current build. At least not in 4.0.0.1. Believe me I've been chomping at the bit waiting for this.

I had a conversation with Chris a while back and he explained to me the nature of global and local variables in a way that made perfect sense. Essentially it's just like it sounds by their descriptions. My problem was that there was another bug, variables pane not updating, and it was mudding the waters of my understanding at the time. If you would like I could dig it up but really I think ISS should write this up somewhere on their webpage so everyone could benefit. If they don't have time and you really like I can write it up if you ask me real nice.

Hey Terry,

I had the same problem with a different macro that I posted back a while ago. It would work fine, pulling the correct info when the 2nd

macro was still just a line or two, but once the macro got complex, macro 2 forgot that the variable it was pulling was a Date/Time variable

and started treating it as a Text variable. It was inconvenient, but I just went in and defined the variable as a D/T within the 2nd macro.

After that it worked fine.

Honestly, it should have worked without reiterating its definition in the second macro (once defined and Saved/Restored, it should stay

defined), but that was a work-around that didn't really change the macro, just took an extra step in the building of it.

I wonder if the same sort of problem is behind my failure to get your ME 3 'Find a word' macro working in ME Pro? (See my post in ME 3 forum.)

I've repeatedly tried it, redfining T1 and T2 from scratch, but ME Pro still fails to run it, yet in ME 3 it's perfect.

--

Terry,

I think you are misunderstanding how these command works. When you use the Variable Save command, the values for the variables are saved in virtual memory on your computer. Once you close Macro Express or shut down Windows, the values are lost.

The variables are not automatically created in another macro when using the Variable Restore command. The values are available for use, grabbing the values from memory.

These command work the same way in Macro Express 3. If you save variable T1, then just select variable T1 in the second macro. The only difference in the Pro version is with named variables. If you restore a named variable from macro 1, you will need to define it first in order to use it in the second macro.

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks Stan. As you saw from my slightly later follow-up post, I was beginning to come to that conclusion too, i.e. that you have to redefine every variable in the new macro. Which somewhat undermines the value of flexible variable names IMO. But I do now understand that aspect.

But I still think something is buggy about variables. Apart from Cory's post, which seems pretty clear cut, and Scasper's comments, can you take a look at my ME Pro macro in the following thread please.

http://pgmacros.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=3507

It looks to me as if ME Pro is forgetting or changing variable types somehow.

--

Cory,

Do you have an example macro(s) of the Variable Save and Restore commands not working in the current version? We'll look at it and see if there is something else we're missing.

I created a simple macro that generates several different variable types and then does a Variable Save. The second macro restores the variables and displays them in a text box. It has worked the dozen or so times I tried.

Terry,

Though this is off topic, I will respond here. If you want to continue this line of conversation, please create a new topic.

I copied your macro and pasted it into the Direct Editor. I didn't make any modifications to the macro and ran it. I ran it about 20 times and it worked correctly each time - responding correctly to yes or no.

Terry,

I no longer monitor the ME3 forums but if you send me a topic link I would be happy to do so on a special request. As far as I'm concerned I'm turning my back on ME3 and all of those who don't see the obvious benefits of MEP. Said in a not so kind way "If you don't got brains enough to switch I don't have the time":) Of course you can always send me a PM or a note from my web page contact form as well if you would like to directly correspond via email.

Stan and Terry,

I'll review my web page and bug report and do some tests and get back to you. But i did just now receive an email from your system Thursday (1/8) that it had just been fixed and would be available in the next release...

Terry,

I no longer monitor the ME3 forums but if you send me a topic link I would be happy to do so on a special request. As far as I'm concerned I'm turning my back on ME3 and all of those who don't see the obvious benefits of MEP. Said in a not so kind way "If you don't got brains enough to switch I don't have the time":) Of course you can always send me a PM or a note from my web page contact form as well if you would like to directly correspond via email.

Not sure how we got onto this topic of ME 3 versus ME Pro? I'm still posting occasional hopefully helpful replies in ME 3, despite registering ME Pro on its announcement. And of course there's sometimes overlap, such as on issues of changes between the two - not all positive. But I expect all of my own queries will continue to be in this forum.

Stan and Terry,

I'll review my web page and bug report and do some tests and get back to you. But i did just now receive an email from your system Thursday (1/8) that it had just been fixed and would be available in the next release...

Leaves me wondering what 'it' is! :rolleyes:

Stan: Thanks for the follow-up about the 'Find' macro. Just a couple of final observations to close off that sub-topic. When I ran my ME Pro macro again late last night, it worked! To the best of my knowledge I'd done nothing (except have dinner and watch some TV) since the repeated occasions when it didn't work, giving that error I described. So I'm still not 100% comfortable, suspecting some intermittent issue or conflict. If there's any similar behaviour I'll report it in a fresh thread.

--

I got on the 'topic of ME3 versus MEP' because you made reference to a post you made on the ME3 forum about one of my macros. I was simply explaining that I don't hang out there anymore and why and if you wanted me to review it to give me a link to the post.

"It", obviously is the subject of this thread which is the "Variable Restore " bug 6184.

Both of these were responses to your post yesterday at 11:29.