Macro Express Forums

Timed Floating Box

I've had a problem with Timed floating text boxes for several builds of ME 3, and it still exists in ME Pro:

When selecting an amount of time for a text box to stay on the screen, it generally stays up for MUCH less than the time

defined. In fact, regardless of how many seconds I set the text box to display, it pops up and goes away almost instantly.

Here's an example macro code set to display for 100 seconds (I would never need it up that long, but I wanted to make sure

the "instant" speed was consistent):

Text Box Display: Hello

<TEXT BOX DISPLAY Title="Hello" Content="{\\rtf1\\ansi\\ansicpg1252\\deff0\\deflang1033{\\fonttbl{\\f0\\fnil\\fcharset0 Tahoma;}}\r\n\\viewkind4\\uc1\\pard\\f0\\fs16 This is a timed test\r\n\\par }\r\n" Left="Center" Top="Center" Width="278" Height="200" Monitor="0" OnTop="FALSE" Keep_Focus="TRUE" Mode="\x01" Delay="100"/>

I've always had to do a work-around like this:

Delay: 5 seconds
Text Box Close: Hello

<TEXT BOX DISPLAY Title="Hello" Content="{\\rtf1\\ansi\\ansicpg1252\\deff0\\deflang1033{\\fonttbl{\\f0\\fnil\\fcharset0 Tahoma;}}\r\n\\viewkind4\\uc1\\pard\\f0\\fs16 This is a timed test\r\n\\par }\r\n" Left="Center" Top="Center" Width="278" Height="200" Monitor="0" OnTop="FALSE" Keep_Focus="TRUE" Mode="\x02" Delay="100"/>
<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="5"/>
<TEXT BOX CLOSE Header="Hello"/>

The timer in the delay command works fine. The timer within the Text Box Display seems to be non-existent.

Am I missing something? or is this a bug that has existed forever in ME and nobody's ever bothered reporting it, since the work-

around is pretty simple?

I've had a problem with Timed floating text boxes for several builds of ME 3, and it still exists in ME Pro:

When selecting an amount of time for a text box to stay on the screen, it generally stays up for MUCH less than the time

defined. In fact, regardless of how many seconds I set the text box to display, it pops up and goes away almost instantly.

Here's an example macro code set to display for 100 seconds (I would never need it up that long, but I wanted to make sure

the "instant" speed was consistent):

<TEXT BOX DISPLAY Title="Hello" Content="{\\rtf1\\ansi\\ansicpg1252\\deff0\\deflang1033{\\fonttbl{\\f0\\fnil\\fcharset0 Tahoma;}}\r\n\\viewkind4\\uc1\\pard\\f0\\fs16 This is a timed test\r\n\\par }\r\n" Left="Center" Top="Center" Width="278" Height="200" Monitor="0" OnTop="FALSE" Keep_Focus="TRUE" Mode="\x01" Delay="100"/>

I've always had to do a work-around like this:

Delay: 5 seconds
Text Box Close: Hello

<TEXT BOX DISPLAY Title="Hello" Content="{\\rtf1\\ansi\\ansicpg1252\\deff0\\deflang1033{\\fonttbl{\\f0\\fnil\\fcharset0 Tahoma;}}\r\n\\viewkind4\\uc1\\pard\\f0\\fs16 This is a timed test\r\n\\par }\r\n" Left="Center" Top="Center" Width="278" Height="200" Monitor="0" OnTop="FALSE" Keep_Focus="TRUE" Mode="\x02" Delay="100"/>
<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="5"/>
<TEXT BOX CLOSE Header="Hello"/>

The timer in the delay command works fine. The timer within the Text Box Display seems to be non-existent.

Am I missing something? or is this a bug that has existed forever in ME and nobody's ever bothered reporting it, since the work-

around is pretty simple?

Steve,

I can confirm identical behaviour. On maybe half a dozen occasions in the last few months, first with ME 3 and then with ME Pro, I've been perplexed to find it time out in under a second despite being set typically to 5 sec. Meant to post about it but never got around to it. I suggest a formal bug report.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

The selection for both Macro Express and Macro Express Pro is 'Timed floating box or end of macro'. The Timed floating box does not stop or delay the macro and when the macro finishes, all the Floating Text Boxes are closed. If you need a box to stay up for a specific amount of time then add a 'Delay' or 'Wait Time Delay' command after the Text Box command. This is by design.

The selection for both Macro Express and Macro Express Pro is 'Timed floating box or end of macro'. The Timed floating box does not stop or delay the macro and when the macro finishes, all the Floating Text Boxes are closed. If you need a box to stay up for a specific amount of time then add a 'Delay' or 'Wait Time Delay' command after the Text Box command. This is by design.

Of course - thanks Kevin! I now recall realising that obvious mistake ages ago. Embarrassing to find that I must have quickly forgotten it again :rolleyes:

In mitigation, I reckon it's not as intuitively designed as perhaps it could be. maybe you could:

- Change 'Stay on screen for' to 'Maximum time'

- Add emphasis by changing 'Timed floating box or end of macro' to 'Timed floating box OR end of macro'

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Well, when you put it that way...

I just tested it and now I get it. Silly me. Now that I understand how it works, I think I'm going to have to start using it.

Thanks yet again, Kevin!