Macro Express Forums

Activate Window command stops working

margaret

I have written a series of macros that copy text from one application to another and then return to the original application. Suddenly the return part does not work -- but I don't get any errors. I don't see the little "running" icon either, so the macro obviously "thinks" it's done. The changes I made today only had to do with manipulating text and variables to make changes to the text before copying it. I don't see how that should affect the window-switching. Can you think of anything that would cause this? I tried closing and re-opening Macro Express and the two applications in question, but it didn't make a difference. I'm using the Activate Window command and it recognizes the window from a partial title that uses the application name. It worked perfectly until now.

Thanks,

Meg

Did you maybe misplace an END IF in your new logic, so you are bypassing the return Activate? Put a (temporary) text box display right before the Activate for debugging purposes, so you can see if your macro is actually getting there.

I had tried that already. I had put a display right before the Activate. The box came up, but then the switch didn't happen. The only IFs/END IFs are at the beginning of the macro, and it kept on working after I added those. THere are no IFs in the text manipulation bit (it's just reversing names, like turning Ebenezer Samuel Anderson into Anderson, Ebenezer Samuel before pasting it in).

Well, after I wrote the above sentence, I just now went back in and tried it again and now it's working! But I had shut down the computer and rebooted in between my earlier message and this one. I still wonder what happened, as I'm writing these for someone else, so I really don't want them to behave erratically. The fact that it's working after rebooting suggests some temporary memory thing, though I don't know how that would apply to this situation exactly. I'll see how they behave ongoing.

Thank you, rberg.

Meg