Macro Express Forums

desktop indicator to indicate if macro is enabled

jrtaylor

I've written a macro which currently is activated on a schedule. For illustrative purpose, lets say the schedule starts the macro at 5 AM when I am asleep.

The challenge, is that on some nights I will want this macro to run and "do its thing," while other nights I do NOT want it to run. My decisioin to run the macro is based on external market events which I assess daily. So to create a fancy schedule will not solve the problem.

Currently the only way I know to turn the macro on or off is to open up the editor and enable or disable the macro.

If I make a mistake and forget to enable or disable it, the consequences could be quite costly.

I'd like some sort of icon/switch on my desktop which essentially lets me "turn on" or "turn off" the macro AND clearly displays the state (on, or off).

PS I am not asking for a desktop control to "run macro now." The operative terms are "enable/disable"

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Here's an idea that we came up with a few years ago.

1. Create a dummy macro. It doesn't have to contain anything but you might want to put a Remark in it explaining what it does.

2. Create a popup menu macro. Change the icon to something you'll remember as 'On'. In my test I used a '1' icon. Choose the option that displays the popup menu's icon in the system tray. Add the dummy macro to this popup menu.

3. Create another popup menu macro. Change its icon to something you'll remember as 'Off'. '0', perhaps. Choose the option that displays the popup menu's icon in the system tray. Add the dummy macro to this popup menu.

4. Disable the 'Off' macro and enable the 'On' macro.

5. Create a macro that uses the Macro Disable and Enable commands to disable your scheduled macro, disable the 'On' macro created in #2 and enable the 'Off' macro created in #3.

6. Create another macro that uses the Macro Enable and Disable commands to enable your scheduled macro, enable the 'On' macro created in #2 and disable the 'Off' macro created in #3.

Your on screen indicator will be the icons in the system tray. You may decide to add your Enable and Disable macros to the popup menus themselves.