Macro Express Forums

Why does MEpro created a folder into my documents?

ok i know it is just Cosmetic - but any chance to get one simple answer?

I'd like to hear from ISS about this too, as I've never really understood why this and similar folders and files are created.

The one you are asking about:

C:\Docs\Insight Software

in my case is not empty, containing

Macro Express (subfolder)

Address Book.txt (empty)

macex.mex (1 KB)

And that subfolder contains these:

Macro Logs (empty sufolder)

CodeSnippets.txt (Not empty, contains up-to-date info)

Favorites.txt (Not empty, contains up-to-date info)

I also have this empty folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Insight Software

And this one, which is not empty:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Insight Software Solutions

So, hopefully ISS will explain what's needed and what's redundant.

[Hoffen wir also, dass ISS erklaert, was man unbedingt braucht und worauf man verzichten kann.]

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

It is a bad idea to store your macro files and working files in any folder under C:\Program Files\ (or the equivalent for your language). Windows goes to great lengths to protect files in these folders. This is for protection of critical files on your computer.

Microsoft has documentation that describes where application files should be stored. Macro Express saves files in those folders. Some folders, such as 'My Documents\Insight Software\Macro Express, are created in one part of the program so the folders will be available when needed in another part of the program.

For backup purposes you should be aware of files in these folders:

• Folders where your macro files are stored
  • The folders set in the preferences under Options, Preferences, File System
  • <My Documents>\Insight Software Solutions\Macro Express
  • <Shared Documents>\Insight Software\Macro Express
  • <Application Data>\Insight Software Solutions

The actual paths are defined by Windows (or your preference settings) and vary from computer to computer.

Kevin is correct. For years I have complained about how applications like Quickbooks sticks it's user data under the prog file folder as I believe this should be saved with all the rest of your essential data. In this case things like your MEP address book are saved to a much more sensible location in My Documents. However I was wondering if we could change the naming or exact location under My Documents.

i store every file in a Folder i name Private Documents and this one will be saved too.

I can not understand why i MUST use the FOlder Windows told me and i can (for me) not really understand why i must have a empty My Documents>\Insight Software Solutions\Macro Express folder.

It can work for normal users who think a dos box is an undefinied flight object but those i think will not use ME PRO

so why cant we decide for our own where we want to store our files and must not have empty folder where we do not want them.

just my two cents

i store every file in a Folder i name Private Documents and this one will be saved too.

I can not understand why i MUST use the FOlder Windows told me and i can (for me) not really understand why i must have a empty My Documents>\Insight Software Solutions\Macro Express folder.

It can work for normal users who think a dos box is an undefinied flight object but those i think will not use ME PRO

so why cant we decide for our own where we want to store our files and must not have empty folder where we do not want them.

just my two cents

Are you sure they are empty and will always be empty? Did you read my earlier reply in post #3?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

in My Documents/Insight Software/Macro Express

is nothing - empty - i switched all into program files

maybe there is soemthing in application data or somewhere else but i do not care if there are some files - i want my folder empty and clean and there are only empty folders there.

But everytime i delete them they will come back when i create a new macro - but empty

yaqwa you obviously don't use your address book, favorites, or Code Snippets in MEP! There are several things like email logs and such that are saved there if you use them.

I'm guessing you're not opposed to MEP creating these folders to save your custom settings and such as much as you don't appreciate it appearing in your "My Documents" as it does. The bad news is it must be saved somewhere and you can not turn it off but the good news is you can tell MEP where to put these files. In the preferences in MEP of to the File System section and File Paths tab. You will see how the first one for Address Book points to that folder that offends you. Go ahead and add an item to your address book and you will see it appear here. Now if you would like to change the naming or hide this simply change the path of all of these that are currently pointing to that offending folder in My Documents and change them.

Hope this helps

It just occurred to me that we evidently can't change everything. For instance it does not appear we can change where the Favorites are stored.

ISS: Is there a registry location one can access to change these? For the future I think it would be nice if we actually had control over where all these person settings and data are stored.

hey cory thanks - but this is what i said befor. I changed all settings to program files mep but the folder in my documents still be created.

and i really do not find any registry settings - but maybe i did not search enough or ............ its in the exe file