Macro Express Forums

Macros activating other macros

One consideration regarding concurrent macros I have is if one macro can unintentionally activate other macros. For instance if I have a macro that types a key sequence at some point and this happened to be a hotkey for another macro will that macro execute? Now the answer I’m looking for would apply to all forms of macro activations like controls, mouse moves, schedules and everything.

One consideration regarding concurrent macros I have is if one macro can unintentionally activate other macros. For instance if I have a macro that types a key sequence at some point and this happened to be a hotkey for another macro will that macro execute? Now the answer I’m looking for would apply to all forms of macro activations like controls, mouse moves, schedules and everything.

I was able to successfully launch several macros from within other macros using shortkeys, hotkeys, and clipboard events (all activations contained within each of the several macros). It stands to reason all other forms of macro activation can be contained within other macros.

This could be problematical. Definitely introduces the need for a new line of thought when building and planning macros.

I was able to successfully launch several macros from within other macros using shortkeys, hotkeys, and clipboard events (all activations contained within each of the several macros). It stands to reason all other forms of macro activation can be contained within other macros.

This could be problematical. Definitely introduces the need for a new line of thought when building and planning macros.

Yes, I've often used Text Type <hotkey> commands instead of Macro Run <macroname> to activate a macro within a macro, usually when the hotkey was very familiar to me and therefore much faster than having to browse the list of macro names looking for the right one. (I also Text Type hotkeys associated with another program, Stiletto, which I' was using at least 10 years before ME. One of these days I really must remove all of those to make life less complicated!)

They've been pretty simple (like pasting clipboard contents to a particular file) and so far I've not hit problems. But at present all my ME Pro macros still have Lock Player/Unlock Player constraining them. If I get into concurrency then I do expect issues ;)

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

You know I think this is a really dangerous 'feature'. More so than I originally suspected. Now I can see why MEP defaults to adding the locks on import. I mean how could you ever hope to keep track of all the possible executions lying in wait? For me it's no big deal but if I'm going to give this to 100 end users? Ish.

I was thinking however of an instance when this could work. I have one macro that users use a lot which has a prompt where they often want to be able to look something up in another macro. I guess I could unlock the player just while that dialog box is open. Hmmm... Not a bad idea.