Macro Express Forums

Direct Editor issue with "Run Macro in Variable"

paperguy

Hi,

I tried searching this issue in the forum but it is hard to do when the search engine won't accept the words 'run' and 'in', even when enclosed in a "" phrase string :(

Heres my issue - I have a macro which in it uses "Run Macro in Variable" extensively. The text string in the variable has multiple occurences of drive-folder locations. I need to use the macro on a different drive and folder. So my idea was to copy the command text from the Direct-Editor and paste it to Notepad. In Notepad I would do a search and replace to enter the new drive-folders I need for the text string.

It worked pretty well but when I copied the text back into ME's Direct-Editor the "Run Macro in Variable" text strings were messed up. The text string in the variable uses "|" as a Carriage Return character but when it's pasted into Notepad it gets converted to "□". When viewed with the Scripting Editor any text after the 1st occurence of a "|" is gone.

Confused, I tried copying the macro text from the Direct-Editor and then creating a new blank macro and pasting it in Direct-Edit mode. I got the same result, any text after the 1st "|" Carriage Return is missing.

I don't want to go through the macro and in every "Run Macro in Variable" in the macro edit the text string dialog box to change the multiple occurences of drive-folder locations. It's just too tedious. I suppose I could write a macro to edit my macro ;)

Any ideas on an easier way to do this?

Thanks - Stumped

The character you are seeing is a separator character. It is difficult to get them in a text string in the correct place but you can substitute \s for each separator character. If you open the Macro Express Help (click Help, Macro Express Help) and search for 'run macro in variable' the help topic that comes up explains the use of \s. Also, the January 27, 2009 issue Macro Express News email newsletter included an article about using Run Macro In Variable. This article links to the Run Macro in Variable to Convert a Date page that contains example code and an explanation.

Hi,

I tried searching this issue in the forum but it is hard to do when the search engine won't accept the words 'run' and 'in', even when enclosed in a "" phrase string :(

I'm glad you made that point as it's been a gripe of mine for ages. ;) In this and several other forums. Other useful 3-letter words it prohibits are 'bug' and 'fix'. Not to mention people's names like Jim, Tom and Joe. Apart from plain and phrase types, it also badly restricts 'AND' searches ('+variable +bug +joe').

Is there anything the moderators can do about this please?

Heres my issue - I have a macro which in it uses "Run Macro in Variable" extensively. The text string in the variable has multiple occurences of drive-folder locations. I need to use the macro on a different drive and folder. So my idea was to copy the command text from the Direct-Editor and paste it to Notepad. In Notepad I would do a search and replace to enter the new drive-folders I need for the text string.

It worked pretty well but when I copied the text back into ME's Direct-Editor the "Run Macro in Variable" text strings were messed up. The text string in the variable uses "|" as a Carriage Return character but when it's pasted into Notepad it gets converted to "□". When viewed with the Scripting Editor any text after the 1st occurence of a "|" is gone.

Confused, I tried copying the macro text from the Direct-Editor and then creating a new blank macro and pasting it in Direct-Edit mode. I got the same result, any text after the 1st "|" Carriage Return is missing.

I don't want to go through the macro and in every "Run Macro in Variable" in the macro edit the text string dialog box to change the multiple occurences of drive-folder locations. It's just too tedious. I suppose I could write a macro to edit my macro ;)

Any ideas on an easier way to do this?

Thanks - Stumped

To complement Kevin's suggestions, I'm wondering if there is anything in the later parts of this thread that might offer any help?

http://pgmacros.invisionzone.com/index.php...pic=3398&hl

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK