Macro Express Forums

Using F9 slows down macro significantly?

I'm getting some more odd behaviour when running macros from the Script Editor (F9). Here's one example I've tried several times. When run with F9 the following takes about 60 seconds until the message appears.

(That's excluding the short initial delay.) Yet run from ME Pro Explorer it takes a mere 2 seconds. A factor of 30:1.

Variable Set String %T[1]% to ""

Repeat Start (Repeat 10000 times)

Variable Modify String %T[1]%: Append Text (Extra-)

End Repeat

Text Box Display: Result

<VARIABLE SET STRING Option="\x00" Destination="%T[1]%"/>
<REPEAT START Start="1" Step="1" Count="10000" Save="TRUE" Variable="%N[1]%"/>
<VARIABLE MODIFY STRING Option="\x06" Destination="%T[1]%" Value="Extra-"/>
<END REPEAT/>
<TEXT BOX DISPLAY Title="Result" Content="{\\rtf1\\ansi\\ansicpg1252\\deff0\\deflang2057{\\fonttbl{\\f0\\fnil\\fcharset0 Tahoma;}{\\f1\\fnil Tahoma;}}\r\n\\viewkind4\\uc1\\pard\\f0\\fs16 There were %N[1]% repetitions.\r\n\\par \r\n\\par T1 = %T[1]%\\f1 \r\n\\par }\r\n" Left="Center" Top="Center" Width="278" Height="200" Monitor="0" OnTop="FALSE" Keep_Focus="TRUE" Mode="\x00" Delay="0"/>

Could someone kindly try it and see if they get the same dramatic difference please. Is there some obvious likely reason I'm missing?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I get near instant results running normally and 62 seconds with F9.

Terry this is normal and it’s the same in ME3 as MEP. When you F9 you’re running in debug mode which does a lot more stuff to help you debug the script. If has to graphically represent which line it’s processing, update the variables debug pane and many other tasks. And in this case you are doing it 10,000 times. 60 seconds aint bad.

I get near instant results running normally and 62 seconds with F9.

Terry this is normal and it’s the same in ME3 as MEP. When you F9 you’re running in debug mode which does a lot more stuff to help you debug the script. If has to graphically represent which line it’s processing, update the variables debug pane and many other tasks. And in this case you are doing it 10,000 times. 60 seconds aint bad.

Thanks Cory, understood.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK