Macro Express Forums

How to get background color under none-static location

I have a macro that first uses the FIND feature in firefox to search for a word, it then ESC to the window itself (out of the FIND bar) then TAB's a couple times so it lands on a specific button.

The problem I am having is trying to get the macro to get the COLOR under that button.

Now normally a

// Test the colour of the Find box

Mouse Move: 100, 703 Relative to Current Window

Get Pixel Color from Beneath the Mouse into %N[3]%

// If colour is WHITE (16777215) then there is a hit.

If Variable %N[3]% Equals "16777215"

Text Box Display: WHITE

Else

Text Box Display: NOT WHITE

Endif

Is fine, except that the button is NOT always in the same area of the screen. However if the macro can simply jump to where ever the current tab went to, I could likely use that to find the color.

I've tried

Mouse Move: To the Text Cursor Position

but it seems that the MOUSE itself does not move to the TABBED location so the

doesn't work..

Help!

I've tried

Mouse Move: To the Text Cursor Position

but it seems that the MOUSE itself does not move to the TABBED location so the

doesn't work..

I don't think there is an elegant solution. I have tried to do what you are trying many times, without success. The problem seems to stem from Firefox. Firefox does not seem to be dealing with the normal text cursor when a link has focus, or even when a field has focus (and there really is a cursor there)! The upper left corner of the screen registers as the text cursor position, regardless of where it actually is.

There is an add-in to Firefox that changes the colour of the find box if a search string is not found. I am not sure if that would help. But at least you could monitor the colour change at a fixed position on the screen.

The best solutions I have come up with are pixel sniffing and mouse cursor checking.

Pixel Sniffing: If I expect a colour change to occur somewhere along the vertical line x = 200...

X = 200

Y = 100 // Start position

//

Repeat 300 times // Check up to 300 pixels along x = 200

Move Mouse to X, Y

N = pixel color

If N = Target Colour

// Success - Perform an action and quit

Macro Stop

Else

// Colour not found - Increment 1 pixel and try again

Y = Y + 1

End if

End Repeat

Mouse Cursor Checking: If I expect a mouse pointer to change shape along the vertical line x = 200...

X = 200

Y = 100 // Start position

//

Repeat 300 times // Check up to 300 pixels along x = 200

Move Mouse to X, Y

If Mouse Cursor = Target Shape (e.g., internet pointer, horizontal split, whatever)

// Success - Perform an action and quit

Macro Stop

Else

// Cursor not found - Increment 1 pixel and try again

Y = Y + 1

End if

End Repeat

More sophisticated versions of these scripts check pixels or mouse cursors along a spiral path, or check every pixel in an area of the screen, or in an extreme case, every pixel on the screen. But these are brute force methods that take time to run. (I have a macro that uses the spiral method; it checks a 2 cm by 2 cm patch of screen in three or four seconds. I use this method regularly. I also have written macros that check the entire screen, but these take too long to execute: on a 1280 x 1024 pixel screen, that's 1.3 million iterations.)

I've encountered another obstacle recently in using pixel and cursor checking routines in Firefox. This stems from using the multiple tab rows feature of the FF extension 'TabMix Plus'. As the number of rows changes, so does the relative position of various targets! And when I thought I'd taken care of that (with difficulty), I realised that sometimes the macro itself could add another site and hence occasionally another tab row. ;)

Is the extension you mentioned 'Highlight Focus'? That adds colour to some boxes reached by tabbing, but many other 'tabbed positions' aren't affected and still show only a faint marquee.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

What about using the macro to grab the X and Y location of the cursor?? I don't see that as a feature in pro? Looks like just a " Mouse Move: X, Y Relative to Current Window" ?

Can we not somehow grab the X and Y location and use THAT X and Y setting. Then move the mouse directly over to that X and Y location rather than using the feature to move the mouse to the text cursor which obviously doesn't work.

If you click a link in firefox and go back it shows that link encased (selected) in a light outlined box. Is that location a way to determine the X and Y?

What about using the macro to grab the X and Y location of the cursor?? I don't see that as a feature in pro? Looks like just a " Mouse Move: X, Y Relative to Current Window" ?

Can we not somehow grab the X and Y location and use THAT X and Y setting. Then move the mouse directly over to that X and Y location rather than using the feature to move the mouse to the text cursor which obviously doesn't work.

If you click a link in firefox and go back it shows that link encased (selected) in a light outlined box. Is that location a way to determine the X and Y?

When scripting for Firefox, I know of no way to automatically move the mouse cursor (or the text cursor) to anywhere other than the upper-left corner of the viewport, other than the two convoluted (and not always reliable) methods I described in an earlier post: pixel sniffing and mouse pointer hunting.

Given the popularity of Firefox, I propose a feature request: mouse movement commands that detect focused objects in Firefox.

When scripting for Firefox, I know of no way to automatically move the mouse cursor (or the text cursor) to anywhere other than the upper-left corner of the viewport, other than the two convoluted (and not always reliable) methods I described in an earlier post: pixel sniffing and mouse pointer hunting.

Given the popularity of Firefox, I propose a feature request: mouse movement commands that detect focused objects in Firefox.

I'll second that. Will you make the formal request?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK