Macro Express Forums

Playable Macro playing Playable Macro issue

paperguy

I had one playable macro on my Desktop (which I love to leave uncluttered) which would open and launch a series of apps to assist me in my web development.

Then I had two more, so it was time to unclutter. I moved the three .MXE's to my Macro Express3 folder and then on my Desktop I wrote a playable macro (launch.mxe) that had a multiple choice menu to select and launch one of the three .MXE's.

Worked like a charm MEx comes through again!

Today, NOT WORKING!

The launch.mxe macro just dies off cleanly, no errors at the point in the launch .MXE file that has the program launch command in it.

So I wrote a short playable test macro called "test of MxxxMxxx.mxe". If I launch it from the Macro Express3 folder, it plays fine.

Then I wrote another non-playable (below), test macro which should launch "test of MxxxMxxx.mxe"

"Test" macro

Program Launch: "test of MxxxMxxx.mxe"

settings for [Program Launch: "test of MxxxMxxx.mxe"]

• Launch Program Only
  • Program Path/Name: C:\Program Files\Macro Express3\test of MxxxMxxx.mxe

Any ideas?

Forgive me if I'm wrong or out of context... but isn't the file extension "MEX" not "MXE"? If you named them incorrectly the default handling in windows for launched filetypes won't be handled right and the file probably will fail to launch or maybe pop up an 'open with' dialogue...

Just a thought... sounds weird to me. Doesn't seem to be a macro problem... are you on Vista? Maybe try taking ownership of those files again or set macro express to always run as admin...

The file mxe is correct. MEX is the file extension for macro files and MXE is the extension for a playable macro.

As no errors are displayed, it sounds like the macro is running. You could test this by placing a Text Box Display command in the playable macro. If it appears, then you may want to check the file paths that are being used in the playable macros to make sure that nothing has been moved or changed.

As no errors are displayed, it sounds like the macro is running. You could test this by placing a Text Box Display command in the playable macro. If it appears, then you may want to check the file paths that are being used in the playable macros to make sure that nothing has been moved or changed.

Thanks for the replies Rand and Jason. In the original launch.mxe I had the menu selection goto %T1%. I did a SWITCH with four CASE statements, three for the macros I need to run and the fourth for the CANCEL option.

When it stopped working today and before I created my test macro scenario, I put breakpoints just before each of the "program launch" commands in each of the CASE statements. At each breakpoint the right value was passed into %T1% and when I pressed continue (to execute the "program launch" command) the macro dies cleanly. I would have thought if the MXE's I am attempting to launch were in the wrong location then the launch.mxe macro would display an error message as the mutiple "program launch" commands have "Bypass File Existence" unchecked?

Anyway I PLAN B'd it as I replaced the "program launch" commands with the actual code that the playable macro uses, into the launch.mxe. Works fine but I'm still befuddled as to why my playable macro in a playable macro stopped working?