Macro Express Forums

Show Category in Explorer full list?

Is there any way of getting ME to include a Category column in the Explorer > All Categories view please? It's the view I use most as it's not only the quickest way of identifying the most recent macros I've worked on but also lets me sort by Activation so that I can select an appropriate new one. But it doesn't tell me what category that macro is filed under, and sometimes finding that can be tedious.

Nor does Properties show the category, which surprises me.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Maybe you need to drag the column widths. The category is listed in the columns by default. If they still do not show up email support with a screenshot.

Definitely no Category column here, however wide I make the view. From left to right my columns are

Icon, Index, Nickname, Activations, Scope, Modified, Last Run Time

Screenshot duly sent by email to ISS Support as requested.

I never had a category column in ME 3 either. Nor can I see any illustration anywhere in Help showing it, or in 'Macro Express Explained'. The new columns in ME Pro I have are Index and Last Run, but no Category! Categories only appear here in the left hand folders pane, which of course doesn't address my question.

Are you 100% sure about this being a default column Kevin?

--

I have one in my Macro Explorer window. Are you sure that the column width has not been closed-up to the point that you cannot see it? If that is even possible.

Thanks Joe, but no, turns out to be some strange glitch.

For anyone else who ever encounters a similar problem, here's the email response I had from Stan at ISS:

"I'm not sure how the column would disappear. I have tried from the interface and couldn't do it. Maybe a change in the registry. To restore the Category column, you will need to close Macro Express - Player and Editor. Open My Computer and go to the folder where you installed Macro Express Pro. Double click on the macdef.exe file to run this small utility. It will restore the program to all of its default settings, including restoring the category column. You will need to go back into Options | Preferences and reset anything that you have changed from the defaults."

Duly did that and now happy to have a Category column for first time. :rolleyes:

--

I reported this is a bug on 11/4/2008 ISS6142. You can see this on my page. The fix is there, essentially export your config, restore defaults, then import config from file. ISS marked this as resolved but I do not agree as I believe some bug or inadvertent user input caused this. Either a bug needs to be fixed or some measures need to be taken to prevent users from accidentally hiding the columns. FWIW I'm happy you had this problem as I think they all though me wacky so it's good that someone else can prove to them it's not just me!

I reported this is a bug on 11/4/2008 ISS6142. You can see this on my page. The fix is there, essentially export your config, restore defaults, then import config from file. ISS marked this as resolved but I do not agree as I believe some bug or inadvertent user input caused this. Either a bug needs to be fixed or some measures need to be taken to prevent users from accidentally hiding the columns. FWIW I'm happy you had this problem as I think they all though me wacky so it's good that someone else can prove to them it's not just me!

Thanks Cory, l'll be interested to hear from ISS about this! It seems neither Kevin nor Stan were aware of the issue when I reported it above, so makes me wonder about the bug-management documentation.

--

It seems neither Kevin nor Stan were aware of the issue when I reported it above, so makes me wonder about the bug-management documentation.

As far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with the ISS bug-management docs. ISS has always been able to answer questions about any particular bug I have reported. Sometimes I like the answer and sometimes not. But I have always been able to get an answer.

I had to create this page just to keep track of the bugs I report so you can imagine the huge number ISS has to track so I don't expect them to remember one from 4 months ago. Heck, I actually had many before that as well so I reckon that list could be twice as long. I have revisited old bugs many times and I would estimate that the ones that fall between the cracks are only around 5% and they are always receptive when someone reminds them of an oversight.

Credit where credit is due: Kevin is the one that came up with the work around. All I did was to verify one can import the old config file back in and not loose all your settings.

FWIW there was a time when I accidentally saw something I was never able to reproduce. I was trying to expand a possible hidden or zero width column and I inadvertently dragged up to the grouping window. I then saw the balloon with my column name and was able to drop it in the top and have it appear! So I was able to grip and place it so it is there. However when I dropped it back down it was still invisible and I was never able to reproduce my trick.

Today there are 219 open issues for Macro Express Pro in our tracking system. It is pretty easy to miss the fact that your description of an issue is the same issue described by someone else. Duplicates occur. And we cannot possibly remember every issue that is reported. As an example, earlier today I discovered there are 6 separate requests relating to setting and selecting variables for a new macro.

However, be assured that once an issue is in the tracking system it will be considered. We may not get to your issue right away but it will not be lost.

Today there are 219 open issues for Macro Express Pro in our tracking system. It is pretty easy to miss the fact that your description of an issue is the same issue described by someone else. Duplicates occur. And we cannot possibly remember every issue that is reported. As an example, earlier today I discovered there are 6 separate requests relating to setting and selecting variables for a new macro.

However, be assured that once an issue is in the tracking system it will be considered. We may not get to your issue right away but it will not be lost.

Fair enough, Kevin. ;)

BTW, I expect you already do this, but one retrieval tool I've found useful in situations a bit like this is a keyword-based spreadsheet or database. Although it's a pain having to enter a few keywords when the issue, request or bug gets filed initially, it's very handy later to be able to quickly display all hits possibly matching a current topic, however old they are.

[i looked around for icons of grandmothers and eggs, but there don't appear to be any in stock. :) ]

--

I got it to happen yesterday! I was in a var selection which was grouped by Type. I pulled type back down to the header and instead of appearing it just disappeared! I did my workaround and now it's fine. It really acts as if the column width is somehow getting set to zero.