Macro Express Forums

'Running Macro' system tray icon

Does anyone have a clue why the green "Running Macro (Man)" sometimes sticks around after a macro has been completed?

I can start a new macro execution while it is present, but can't right-click on it to 'cancel' whatever process it is representing. Very annoying!

Maybe I missed the memo on this feature! :-)

Thanks!

Does anyone have a clue why the green "Running Macro (Man)" sometimes sticks around after a macro has been completed?

I can start a new macro execution while it is present, but can't right-click on it to 'cancel' whatever process it is representing. Very annoying!

Maybe I missed the memo on this feature! :-)

Thanks!

I think this was discussed back in December. it's a bug, but it shouldn't affect the way ME Pro runs. Give it a few extra seconds/minutes and it eventually disappears. In the mean time, you can continue to run macros. I'm not sure about the macro it is supposedly running, though... hmmm.

We had issues with what I affectionately call "Forrest" for Forrest Gump ("Run Forrest, run!") back in the beta days doing exactly as you describe but it was hard to reproduce and innocuous. But it is funny you mention it as just yesterday I noticed it happen a few times. Also he seems to hang around a good second or two after execution is complete. Put a beep at the end of your macro and note that he sometimes has significant run out at times. I'm guessing ISS still has it on the books but have bigger fish to fry first. Still it would be good to make sure they're aware of it. If Kevin is reading this perhaps he could check to make sure this is still an issue and if not get it in there as it's obviously not isolated.

Someone else, Jeff maybe, and I thought it would be cool to have MEP animate Forest when execution was in process. This way if the macro stalled, was at a pause waiting for user input, or whatever he would stop running. It would be cool but I might be suffering from featuritis.

Someone else, Jeff maybe, and I thought it would be cool to have MEP animate Forest when execution was in process. This way if the macro stalled, was at a pause waiting for user input, or whatever he would stop running. It would be cool but I might be suffering from featuritis.

I guess "Forrest Gump" trumped "...it happens". :blink: (This was in a PG movie, Mods!)

Well, glad it isn't me. I thought maybe it had to do with the legacy stuff from ME3 since I have not done full code rewrites.

I wonder if this isn't off a "wait for..." command thing?

Thanks!

FWIW most times I have a long macro that's running invisibly I make progress windows. I use tricks like we did back in the text windows days like having pipes or arrow heads marching across, calculated percentage of completion, or even a 'prop' spinning using a sequence of (|, /, -, \). I'm doing it more in MEP becasue there is one really cool new feature and that's the Update Textbox command. In ME3 I would have to close and reopen and that caused problems and performace issues. The Update Textbox command solved all that so I consider it one of the coolest little features.

The Update Textbox command solved all that so I consider it one of the coolest little features.

Cory, I read about this last month and was pretty excited. I also have long macros that span several applications a pop and make use of the 'close window'/'open window' commands at various points in the script to keep the user informed of what data is being crunched. The big plus to me is with the ability to run mutiple macros, I'm hoping I can keep the status box open and run other macros that update the content. Sweetness.

I have a large macro process currently in proposal format (fingers crossed) and it will make extensive use of this feature to update status for clerks as they collect data from image files to import into Excel sheets.

Love your prop idea... lots of creative visual possibilities involving math and loops! I used to work in MacroMedia Director and Flash (and FutureSplash for all you guys with a memory). This might not be mind blowing, but it will certainly give me a little mental fun.

Back in the day I saw a bunch of really incredible text screen animation for progress indicators. Even one with a little dog that would run back ad forth on the screen that was only a few characters high. I was always amazed by their ingenuity. I wonder if anyone has a web gallery of these. I know ASCII art has always been a big thing, maybe there's an ASCII animation site out there... Of course all I need is another distraction!