Macro Express Forums

MEX file contents mystery

While trying to track down a problem I opened my current working file FULL.MEX in Hex Workshop Editor (with ME Pro closed) to search for a string of text. I was very surprised to find fragments of macro names in it that have long since been deleted in ME Pro. How can this arise please? Surely the MEX file should not keep obsolete entries?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

When changes are made in data files often the new chunk is bigger and can't fit in the old hole so the program will stick it on the end and simply ignore the old section. Then at periodic intervals the program will rewrite the file from scratch to reduce size and validate it's structure. Database files are infamous this way and for this reason often have to be "Compacted and Repaired" often reducing size to a fraction. I'm guessing MEP does the same and you caught it in between. Did the references still remain after you used the Pack command? Tools > Pack.

When changes are made in data files often the new chunk is bigger and can't fit in the old hole so the program will stick it on the end and simply ignore the old section. Then at periodic intervals the program will rewrite the file from scratch to reduce size and validate it's structure. Database files are infamous this way and for this reason often have to be "Compacted and Repaired" often reducing size to a fraction. I'm guessing MEP does the same and you caught it in between. Did the references still remain after you used the Pack command? Tools > Pack.

Thanks Cory, understood. I'll try Tools > Pack and study the file again.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK