Macro Express Forums

load a different macro file by default?

margaret

When distributing files to macro users, there is no way short of a silent install to have a different macro file loaded by default -- correct? The users will not need to use the Editor unless they decide to change the activation shortcuts, in other words, most of them won't need to use it, but I have to install it because if I don't, then those who want to change the keyboard shortcuts won't be able to. (These are individuals in different locations on their own computers, not on a network.) I'd like to keep them out of the editor to keep things as simple as possible. I tried creating a silent install but I think that would be inadvisable for these users, to whom a regular installation process will seem more familiar than the screen going blank during the silent install. But they'll have to use the Editor in order to load my MEX file, unless I have them not launch the program at installation end and then rename my MEX file to macex.mex. That doesn't seem like a good idea because it would make it harder for me to keep track of which version of my file they have (there are several versions for different situations that do the same thing in different programs).

The Advanced Installation topic in the help describes Silent Install and Installation Options. You can use the Installation Options (via the /M command line switch) without using Silent Install (/s). You could use a /M with a file containing the /MACROFILEDEST option.

When Macro Express is installed the .mex and .mxe file extensions are registered with windows. You can then 'run' a macro file to load it into Macro Express. For example, if you have a macro file named 'empty.mex' you can type 'empty.mex' in a Command Prompt window or the Run dialog to load that macro file into Macro Express. (You may need to include the path to the macro file.) This will also work with a .bat file. So, another possible solution would be to have a batch file run the Macro Express installer and, at the end, 'run' the macro file to load it.

If you need more specific help please contact the Support people at Insight Software Solutions.

The Advanced Installation topic in the help describes Silent Install and Installation Options. You can use the Installation Options (via the /M command line switch) without using Silent Install (/s). You could use a /M with a file containing the /MACROFILEDEST option.

When Macro Express is installed the .mex and .mxe file extensions are registered with windows. You can then 'run' a macro file to load it into Macro Express. For example, if you have a macro file named 'empty.mex' you can type 'empty.mex' in a Command Prompt window or the Run dialog to load that macro file into Macro Express. (You may need to include the path to the macro file.) This will also work with a .bat file. So, another possible solution would be to have a batch file run the Macro Express installer and, at the end, 'run' the macro file to load it.

If you need more specific help please contact the Support people at Insight Software Solutions.

I don't think I made my question clear enough. I believe the help file gives the same info as Macro Express Explained, which is what I read. Even if I don't use the /S switch, the user still has to use Start, Run, navigate to the file, etc., and see the screen go black temporarily. That is exactly what I don't want. So the best thing is to give them instructions to run the usual installation with options so that the Editor is installed but not loaded at startup, and have them open the editor from the context menu of the system tray icon and then load my file. After that they won't need the Editor unless they decide to change the keyboard shortcuts for activation since my file will be loaded by default from that point on.

If you do not want your users having to type setup.exe /m=me3Setup.txt you can put this in a batch file, create a shortcut to it, and have them click on that. To prevent the Editor from being displayed when Macro Express starts requires setting the preferences a specific way. These are described in the Knowledgebase.

Again, if you have questions, please contact support.