Macro Express Forums

Text type intermittent when using Capture

bostonfan

Hi all,

I'm new and am embarrased to say I'm having difficulty with even the most basic of tasks. I want to use the Capture feature to create a macro that will launch Google's keyword tool page, log me in, enter in keywords, save them to CSV, etc. What I can't understand is why the text type works in the browser, but not in Google's webform itself. I can bypass the login easily enough without the text type since my username and pw are saved, but once I'm in to the actual keyword tool page, I can't get it to type anything into the keyword box. It just pauses there leaving that field empty before it goes on to click "Get Keyword Ideas".

I'm giving it plenty of time during the capture to catch up with the text input so I'm confused as to why it doesn't take. I've also upped the delay in the options to 3000ms. I played around with some Norton 360 settings to see if it was preventing this from working, but no luck so far. Any ideas?

Hi all,

I'm new and am embarrased to say I'm having difficulty with even the most basic of tasks. I want to use the Capture feature to create a macro that will launch Google's keyword tool page, log me in, enter in keywords, save them to CSV, etc. What I can't understand is why the text type works in the browser, but not in Google's webform itself. I can bypass the login easily enough without the text type since my username and pw are saved, but once I'm in to the actual keyword tool page, I can't get it to type anything into the keyword box. It just pauses there leaving that field empty before it goes on to click "Get Keyword Ideas".

I'm giving it plenty of time during the capture to catch up with the text input so I'm confused as to why it doesn't take. I've also upped the delay in the options to 3000ms. I played around with some Norton 360 settings to see if it was preventing this from working, but no luck so far. Any ideas?

This might be so obvious you missed it, or so obvious it will be offensive for me to suggest it... but have you made sure the webform has focus? Focus can be gained by using Control commands (assuming they work on the webform), or simply by using a Mouse Move command - hovering the arrow over the webform, and following it with a Mouse Click command.

I haven't used this particular Google utility before (and can't log into Google from work to test it out), but this would be my first suggestion.

This might be so obvious you missed it, or so obvious it will be offensive for me to suggest it... but have you made sure the webform has focus? Focus can be gained by using Control commands (assuming they work on the webform), or simply by using a Mouse Move command - hovering the arrow over the webform, and following it with a Mouse Click command.

I haven't used this particular Google utility before (and can't log into Google from work to test it out), but this would be my first suggestion.

Thanks, Steve. That's not something I checked, but will later tonight when I get a chance although it sounds like this is done via the scripting editor rather than the capture mode which is what enticed me to buy the product. I guess I mistakingly thought the capture mode would add the focus into the macro automatically since I was giving the webform focus with my mouse when I was typing the text during the capture.

Since my initial post, I also heard back from the MacroMarketer support folks: "A possible problem when using the capture mode as you type in a login form, is that the macro never sees your text, because an encryption is being entered into the login form rather than your text." Of course, this leaves me scratching my head wondering how to "undo" any such encryption that may be applied.

Dan

Thanks, Steve. That's not something I checked, but will later tonight when I get a chance although it sounds like this is done via the scripting editor rather than the capture mode which is what enticed me to buy the product. I guess I mistakingly thought the capture mode would add the focus into the macro automatically since I was giving the webform focus with my mouse when I was typing the text during the capture.

Since my initial post, I also heard back from the MacroMarketer support folks: "A possible problem when using the capture mode as you type in a login form, is that the macro never sees your text, because an encryption is being entered into the login form rather than your text." Of course, this leaves me scratching my head wondering how to "undo" any such encryption that may be applied.

Dan

I see. I didn't catch that you had used the capture feature. I honestly have never used that feature myself, so couldn't even begin to help trouble-shoot from experience. I am certain, however, that if you clicked the mouse-button during capture, then the macro would record that action.

I don't know anything about encryption causing errors when logging in using a macro. I use Macro Express to log into a lot of different apps without any problems. But then again, I don't use the capture method.

I thought you were MacroMarketer, you should probably contact Insight Software Solutions for support (unless, of course, that's who you meant).

Thanks, Steve. Between you and Micah at MacroMarketer support, you guys convinced me it should work and that there must be some setting somewhere that was interfering and thereby inspired me to keep trying until I discovered what setting was causing the problem. I'm happy to report success!! :D Just in case anyone else runs into this same scenario, here's the solution...

For me, the problem resulted from Norton 360 seeing the macro software as a keylogger. So, if you're using Norton 360 as your security software, here's how to enable the "text type" functionality for your macros on web forms:

1) Within Norton 360's main panel, you'll see several links at the top.

2) Click the "Settings" link

3) Within the "Detailed Settings" options, click the one labeled "Eavesdropping Protection".

4) You'll now see a list of your programs that Norton 360 sees as "keylogger" type security threats.

5) Scroll the list until you see the line containing the "MacExp.exe" file and highlight it.

6) Click the "Allow/Block" button.

7) The MacEcp.exe file should now be listed as "Allowed" under the status indicator.

You should now have the text type functionality. :D

I'd surmise that if you are using something other than Norton 360 for security and are still having an issue with text type, the problem is likely the same. You'll probably just need to figure out how to achieve the same result within your specific security software.

As for the confusion regarding my screen name, my apologies. Since MacroMarketer doesn't have their own support forum but their software is based on the same foundation as MacroExpress, I was intending to reveal that I was using that version of the program just in case there were any differences in functionality, etc. But yes, in retrospect, I can certainly see why you'd think I was MacroMarketer given my screen name. I'll see if I can change that.

As I get more comfortable with the software, I'm sure I'll be experimenting more with the Scripting Editor features. See you on the boards and thanks again.