Macro Express Forums

Move text from Clipboard to Variable...

Sheesh. It seems like I used to be really good at writing macros, now I can hardly accomplish anything!!!

I've got a macro that inserts some date and time info via pasting from variables. (Note that Text Typing them in isn't an option, must use paste--see other topic of mine). Under certain circumstances I want to first select and copy the content of an email message, then paste said content into my notes after the date and time stamp. So what I need to do, is *store* the "real" contents of the clipboard so that they are not lost when that are over-written by the date and time info by my macro. Logical thing is to have a text variable %txtClipBrdHolder% and move the content of the Windows clipbord there at the begining of the macro, then retrieve it at the end. ... FOr the life of me I can't see how to do this. Am I just missing it; or is there another way to accomplish this?? I found how to write the clipboard contents to an .ini file, but that is too slow....

Ideas? Thanks :) -steve

Macro Express and Macro Express Pro have commands to copy any 'text' from the clipboard and save it to a variable. In Macro Express Pro the command is Variable Set String %FromClipboard% from the clipboard contents. Similarly, there is a command to copy from a string variable to the clipboard Variable Modify String: Save %FromClipboard% to the clipboard.

This copies and restores text but the clipboard can contain many other types of data such as images and other binary data. Macro Express Pro does not yet have a command to save and restore non-text clipboard contents. This has been requested several times and is on our list of features to consider.

[...] In Macro Express Pro the command is Variable Set String %FromClipboard% from the clipboard contents. Similarly, there is a command to copy from a string variable to the clipboard Variable Modify String: Save %FromClipboard% to the clipboard. [...]

Ah yes! I have no idea how I missed that.... :blink: One of those days I guess ;)

Thanks Kevin :lol: