Macro Express Forums

Macro Express system tray icon disappears sometimes

ejs

Sometimes the Macro Express icon disappears from my system tray. (Note it is not hidden or being treated as an inactive icon. It is really no longer in the system tray.) This is not a Macro Express problem. My windows OS has gotten a little flaky; I have the same problem that some other programs also have their system tray icons disappear.

But as far as I can tell, there is no way for me to bring up the Macro Express editor without being able to click on the system tray icon.

Is there some way (e.g., some command line I can run, or some other program in the Macro Express folder) that could do one of the following:

- open the Macro Express editor without the system trail icon being there

- restore the system tray icon

Right now, what I have to do is open the task manager and kill the Macro Express process. Then I can relaunch macro express from the start menu. When the relaunch is, the system tray icon is generated so that I can access the editor.

Sometimes the Macro Express icon disappears from my system tray. (Note it is not hidden or being treated as an inactive icon. It is really no longer in the system tray.) This is not a Macro Express problem. My windows OS has gotten a little flaky; I have the same problem that some other programs also have their system tray icons disappear.

But as far as I can tell, there is no way for me to bring up the Macro Express editor without being able to click on the system tray icon.

Is there some way (e.g., some command line I can run, or some other program in the Macro Express folder) that could do one of the following:

- open the Macro Express editor without the system trail icon being there

Right now, what I have to do is open the task manager and kill the Macro Express process. Then I can relaunch macro express from the start menu. When the relaunch is, the system tray icon is generated so that I can access the editor.

This might get the tray icon back:

Start > Run > C:\Program Files\Macro Express3\MacExp.exe

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Sometimes the Macro Express icon disappears from my system tray.

Does this happen when Macro Express first loads or after it has been running for a while?

Normally this occurs when Windows boots and launches Macro Express. On some systems, Windows is not really ready for Macro Express to run when it loads it. To correct this, use the 'Wait for' option found in Options, Preferences, Startup. Set a value of 5 to 30 seconds. You might want to try a higher number and then systematically reduce it.

The System HotKey to load the editor is Ctrl+Alt+Shift+W

Sometimes the Macro Express icon disappears from my system tray.

Create a macro that contains the macro command Restart Macro Express. When the system tray icon disappears, run the macro to close and restart Macro Express.

• 4 months later...
Normally this occurs when Windows boots and launches Macro Express. On some systems, Windows is not really ready for Macro Express to run when it loads it. To correct this, use the 'Wait for' option found in Options, Preferences, Startup. Set a value of 5 to 30 seconds

It has been a few months since I made this change, and I have not noticed the problem anymore, so this must have been the cause. Thanks.

Using MEP, I experience this problem several times a week. Rerunning Macexp.exe does not help. And when the icon is no longer visible (although Task Manager shows it it still running), hotkey macros don't work either. The only solution is to kill Macexp and restart it.