Macro Express Forums

Window size & position - bugs?

I'd appreciate feedback before reporting the following as a possible bug please.

My screen has a resolution of 1920 x 1200. When applied to any maximised window, these ME Pro commands return incorrect results:

Variable Set Integer %X%: Set to the Current Window's Left returns -4 instead of 0

Variable Set Integer Y: Set to the Current Window's Top returns -4 instead of 0

Variable Set Integer WindowWidth: Set to the Current Window's Width returns 1928 instead of 1920

Variable Set Integer WindowHeight: Set to the Current Window's Height returns 1180 instead of 1200

This seems to be down to ME Pro because if I use the Prt Scr key to copy the screen to any of my image editors, the size reported is 1920 x 1200.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I have seen this before but I am not an authority so take what I say with a grain of salt.

This is not a bug, this is Windows. The actual windows desktop is nearly infinite as far as I know. Don’t believe me? Window an application and hang half of it off your screen to the right. Half the window is not gone, it still exists. Also, as I have recently found out with the scripting editor, one can orphan it completely off screen when changing from two to one monitor. What we define as our screen resolution is just a window on top of that immense desktop.

What I believe you are seeing are the 4 pixel window borders. In your web browser right now if it’s windowed you see borders but if you maximize it they appear to disappear. Well they didn’t, they were just moved out of your vision and still exist to Windows.

As I said this is just the feeling I get and have never read this formally but rather this is the paradigm I get from my experiences.

I have seen this before but I am not an authority so take what I say with a grain of salt.

This is not a bug, this is Windows. The actual windows desktop is nearly infinite as far as I know. Don’t believe me? Window an application and hang half of it off your screen to the right. Half the window is not gone, it still exists. Also, as I have recently found out with the scripting editor, one can orphan it completely off screen when changing from two to one monitor. What we define as our screen resolution is just a window on top of that immense desktop.

What I believe you are seeing are the 4 pixel window borders. In your web browser right now if it’s windowed you see borders but if you maximize it they appear to disappear. Well they didn’t, they were just moved out of your vision and still exist to Windows.

As I said this is just the feeling I get and have never read this formally but rather this is the paradigm I get from my experiences.

OK, thanks Cory, that rings true. What puzzles me most is why ME Pro reports the size differently to other applications, like the 4 image editors I've tried. The only reason I'm fussing with the issue at all is because I'm unclear whether it affects the way I write macros that depend on pixel positions.

Also, I've just emailed ISS to ask if there are still issues with window sizing & positioning in general. I can't pin them down, but I'm getting intermittent strange behaviour that seems to implicate those commands. For example, after using them to resize my Google Earth window, whenever I click any key after that I get unwanted movement. (If you're familiar with GE, it's like a tour starting!) If I close ME Pro then restart GE, normality returns. It also somehow seems to arise only if I use shortcut keys for activation, such as typing '##gs' to run a macro named 'Get Size'.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK