Macro Express Forums

Email Send Command

I've avoided the Email Send command in ME for years. Mostly because I was happy just writing my emails manually. For a while now, though, I've been using macros to open Outlook, Create New Message, and then fill in the email with a template plugging in variables where necessary. Outlook is inconsistent in its coming to the front - even with repeat loops attempting to pull Outlook into focus. For the most part it works, and when it doesn't, an Alt+Tab works fine.

But I've decided to start exploring the possibilities with the Email Send command. From what I've seen so far, even when using MAPI settings, the email itself is Text-Only. Is that correct, or am I missing something. I understand if it is text only, but if so, it won't actually help me (most emails I have to send require information placed within cells or tables).

Any advice?

Yes, text only. Bane of my existence last week. Spent hours trying to work around that. I have some suggestions but are you sending one email or batches?

FYI I have a long standing feature request with ISS on this one but I'd love it if folks would add their vote to ISS to make HTML an option. Even if it's a real cryptic one. You can put HTML in the message body obviously but you can't change the header to tell the mail app its format.

And don't give up on the email utility. As long as you don't need HTML it is very powerful and requires no other application.

Yes, text only. Bane of my existence last week. Spent hours trying to work around that. I have some suggestions but are you sending one email or batches?

FYI I have a long standing feature request with ISS on this one but I'd love it if folks would add their vote to ISS to make HTML an option. Even if it's a real cryptic one. You can put HTML in the message body obviously but you can't change the header to tell the mail app its format.

And don't give up on the email utility. As long as you don't need HTML it is very powerful and requires no other application.

Thanks Cory,

1- Generally I just need to send one email at a time to 1-3 parties.

2- I'll go ahead and send in a feature request to add my vote

I made another post just now in the hope that perhaps I could hire someone to create an HTML email module for us all. But check out Paul's post about using CDO.

Another possibility for you is a Merge to Email using Word. In a couple of places I have macros that overwrite an existing TSV file that has a Word Merge doc linked to it then I open the doc and print or whatever. It's just a single document but it makes it easy to use the word doc as a template. You could use this tack and simply merge to email instead. Just a thought.

I made another post just now in the hope that perhaps I could hire someone to create an HTML email module for us all. But check out Paul's post about using CDO.

Another possibility for you is a Merge to Email using Word. In a couple of places I have macros that overwrite an existing TSV file that has a Word Merge doc linked to it then I open the doc and print or whatever. It's just a single document but it makes it easy to use the word doc as a template. You could use this tack and simply merge to email instead. Just a thought.

Awesome... I'd never even heard of Merge to Email till this post... I'm so severely limited in what I do on a day-to-day basis that I fail to play around with other features that I didn't know might actually benefit me. I just went through MS's online training for this feature, and I think it's amazing...

When I have more time, I'll no doubt play around with it and see what I can't do to implement this tool as you suggested above. Thanks again, Cory!

While Word's Mailmerge utility can indeed be used to send emails, it does have plenty of problems, not least among which is the number of emails that can be sent at a time. In my work database applications, I allow the user to choose how many emails he/she wishes to send per batch. And there's a considerable difference between the Mailmerge features of Word 2000 and Word 2003, both in appearance and method of working.

I have some batch email macros that do exactly the same thing. First I give the user the option to run after hours and if they choose to send it out manually I calculate the size of the attachments and add a delay interval of an amount that will be about a quarter of the companies bandwidth so I don't get a bunch of calls about how "The Internet is slow".

I agree Word Mail Merge to email is limited and has problems and am not recommending it for a large batch. In this case I am recommending it as a way to make one document so that one doesn't have to interact with the UI.