Macro Express Forums

Key Repetitions now possible?

I always missed the option to repeat a macro while the hotkey is pressed. (like cursor keys are repeated)

Maybe in MEX Pro this becomes now possible. When it comes to activating MEX Pro allows to distinguish between a Hotkey pressed or released. You can think of two macros:

Macro A (activated by pressing down Hotkey)

- Repeat Action for 100 Times.

Macro B (activated by releasing same Hotkey)

- Stopping Macro A.

Well, it doesn´t work that way. First of all, while the running man appears on the key press the macro instead is not performed. With Macro B i have a different problem. How do i stop another macro? I could disable it but i need it next time.

Any ideas? Thank you!

Alexandra

Just have Macro A check for something created by macro B in each iteration. If it were me I would have it check for a registry value and if it exists reset it and stop the macro. Then just have Macro B create that registry item. You could also do it with file, INI files, clipboard or any of a number of things.

Thanks Cory,

did you try that out? I couldn´t be farer from that. I´m not able to activate any macro by key press. For example:

I assign two macros ( A & B ) to the same Hotkey. One types "A" the other one "B". Macro A is Press- Macro B ist Release activated.

I should see "AB" after typing the hotkey, no? There only "B"´s. If i hold the hotkey for a moment many B´s are typed after Releasing.

I have no idea! Can you confirm this? As long MEX Pro is nonreactive to key presses your idea won´t work also. I wonder why the made the distinction (Press-Release). Once, i think i managed to see a running man while pressing down a hotkey. But it didn´t do anything.

I have the feeling i switched to early to MEX Pro. Often the process "macedit.exe" is consuming 50% of my cpu, without performing or editing a macro. I also find it difficult to stop a macro with right-click on running man icon.

Alexandra

I have not tried any of what I suggested. Just tossing some ideas out. I could see having it be the same key could cause some issues. I don't know how MEP monitors the key for the depress/release activations but that would be what one would need to figure this out.

I've heard some people complaining about MEP using a lot of their CPU cycles but have not seen any such problem in and of the machines I have or write macros for which is a considerable lot of varied environs. I would suspect you have some other utility running that's aggravating MEP or some problem with your install and for this you should start a support incident with ISS.

Well Cory then i invite you to join the Trial-Club and write some code! <_<

My 2 example macros consist of just one commandline each (TEXT TYPE A/B). I would be pleased to get some confirmation on this behaviour.

EVERYBODY:

Does anybody ever managed to program a macro- (key-) repetiton while and only while a hotkey is pressed down ??????

Thank you

Alexandra

The problem with your sample macro lies with the Text Type command - I imagine pressing and holding the hotkey interferes with this command.

I have M1 and M2, both of which display a texbox with different words so as to distinguish between them.

M1 activates on Ctrl-H when pressed, M2 activates on Ctrl-I when released (I tried having both on Ctrl-H but M1 never fires).

Pressing and holding Ctrl-H runs M1 once.

Pressing and holding Ctrl-I does nothing while the hotkey is pressed; but as soon an it's released then multiple copies of M2 run at the same time (a bug I've already reported).

Well Cory then i invite you to join the Trial-Club and write some code! <_<
Remind me again why I should give you suggestions if you're just going to be insulting? And might I point out that you also could have written some sample code to post. In fact the originator really should be the one to do so.

I'm sorry you don't appreciate my comments, I'll leave you alone from now on. I'm very busy these days and can't spend a lot of time in the forums but if you would like me to spend time working things out for you I'm available at a reasonable hourly rate. Feel free to contact me thru my website.

Dear Paul,

thank your very much for trying to confirm my problem!

I tried the same (displaying dialog boxes). Same Hotkey but two macros (one press, one release activated) Eventually i managed to run the press Macro on press. The release macro repeated most of the time endlessly. Even worse, MEX Pro crashed most of the time (I did sent some of the crash reports to Insight)

What should i say? The great idea to distinguish between Key down / up is not yet ready to use?

Alexandra

Skip this, if you are not Cory !!

Dear Cory, i am so sad you got this completely wrong! Didn´t you see my smiley? Maybe i picked the wrong one. I did not find the one with the one eye closed! I know it´s sometimes dangerous to use irony and humor on the board but where would be the fun without it? Do you know, that your Nick (Cory) is maybe the only name here i know and remember. I don´t know in which of my posts you didn´t inserted a helpful hint. So often i was only the taker and you were the giver!

I think i posted my sample macros. It was just (TEXT TYPE A/B). Did you think of uploading this single commandline? I know that i am here most of the time to ask. But i always do it in a way that other users can contribute. In my post

"Macro Express Pro - After one week, Great things and stuff i miss!" i suggested 10 ideas for improvement.

Insulting was absolutly not my intention. I would be very happy if you could accept my apologize and i would hear from you in another post.

Alexandra

I tried the same (displaying dialog boxes). Same Hotkey but two macros (one press, one release activated) Eventually i managed to run the press Macro on press. The release macro repeated most of the time endlessly. Even worse, MEX Pro crashed most of the time (I did sent some of the crash reports to Insight)

What should i say? The great idea to distinguish between Key down / up is not yet ready to use?

No, I don't agree! I think the macro runs perfectly on a hotkey press, just as long as:

1) you don't include any Text Type commands

2) you don't assign another macro to the same hotkey (but waiting until the keys are released)

If you were to allow point 2 above, then every time you pressed the shared hotkey, both macros would run. I see no purpose in that!

Kevin, would you have expected the Text Type command to work reliably in a macro activated by a hotkey as soon as it is pressed?

Yes, i tested a little bit more. Activation by press works!

Well, i definitely would like to include Text Type commands. Why shouldn´t that be allowed? Is there a technical reason? (Keyboardinterface?)

The purpose of Point 2 is to achieve a macro- (key-) repetition as long the hotkey is pressed (like cursor keys). This is what this thread (keyrepetition) is about. Although we did not manage to realize it yet Cory (i miss him) made a very good point:

Just have Macro A check for something created by macro B in each iteration. If it were me I would have it check for a registry value and if it exists reset it and stop the macro. Then just have Macro B create that registry item. You could also do it with file, INI files, clipboard or any of a number of things.

Macro A: Repetition Macro activated by press

Macro B: Macro A Stopper activated by release (Same hotkey!)

I and i believe many other users would find it very useful to have the possibility to realize this. I could use this for hundred of things. You can even think of accelerating the macro over the time being pressed.

Thank you!

Alexandra

Didn´t you see my smiley?
In that case forgive me instead for misinterpreting your comments. THe 'emotion' conveyed was obviously not intended.

Most think emoticons are just a cute little add-on but I do think they can serve a purpose. We often want to say things in a teasing way or in jest so since we can't hear a tone of voice in plain text they can be handy. I took your emoticon to be negative and that was just a miscommunication. I didn't have a dictionary to look it up at the time I've just always known it to be a negative. And I've been around to see emoticons at their dawn. But ever since smiley graphics replaced emoticons I'm never completely sure. But I did look this one up on the list of emoticons on Wikipedia and the one most similar to your smiley in appearance had the definition of "looking askance / rolling eyes, esp. when around dumb behavior". Which backs up my taking it this way. BTW the invisible emoticon <_< that casued the smiley substitution is defined as "disbelief" but I don't think the smiley really resembles the emoticon and you may have type the characters instead of inserting the smiley.

Anyway I just wanted to let you know we're all good now!

Personally, I prefer <g> or :) (if that second one is right) - I actually entered colon right-bracket, and don't appreciate having my text converted.

And I get quite irritated when I try and present a lettered list. You can see what I mean below - it should read (using Bee for the letter B )

- A) point one

- Bee) point two

instead of which we get:

- a) point one

- B) not what I intended for point 2!

I guess the most important one and the one which is missing in the board editor is ;-) (one eye blinking)

I use it often to indicate irony or humor and it´s the one i see the most.

But back to the topic:

There are some posts on the MEX3 forum about repetive macros while keys holding down. As i remember an admin/insight guy (was it Kevin?) answered that due to the structure of MEX3 this is principially not possibe. Now they came up with this distinction between Key Press and Key Release.

But as i know still nobody so far coded an succesful repetition macro, right? Though i think MEX Pro is capable of that those different activation options don´t work reliable yet. So we must hope for an update?!?

Alexandra

Don't forget there is a check box to turn the emoticon to Smiley conversion off ;-) Oddly enough it's called "Enable Emoticons when really it should be called "Enable Smileys".