Macro Express Forums

Starting Debugger - poor design?

Am I alone in disliking the new way that ME Pro starts the debugger? In ME 3 I could hit F9 from the Script Editor and by default it would run the macro starting in the previously open window. Which was what I wanted to do for 99% of the time. But in ME Pro the default is to offer me a choice of all my windows, arranged alphabetically apart from the default of running the macro in the ME Script Editor. How often would anyone want to do that? So the only way now to get fast action is to add temporary commands in the macro to activate the target window, allowing you to hit F9 followed by Enter. To achieve what used to be a one keystroke, no-nonsense operation in ME 3.

Unless I've misunderstood and others point up significant benefits of this design that I've missed, I'll raise it formally with ISS.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I agree with you to a point. However it doesn't bother me so much because I believe that if it's essential to have the correct window focused when running a GUI interactive macro that the best practice is to activate the window first. In fact I will have several window activations for each pause in the action just to ensure my target is always focused. So this largely eliminates the need for a switch window. However there are exceptions like macros that run in multiple apps so I agree that it would be nice down the road to tweak the new switch window in MEP to work more like it was before. And I don't see why it can't just be added. Also it would be nice if the list of windows was organized by order instead of alphabetically. Worth requesting But I think this is a lower priority item.