Macro Express Forums

Troubleshooting new macros

Cartwheels

Is there a way to display the text of the macro in a text box as it is playing out on your computer? I thought I had seen this done before, but now I can't figure out how to do it.

It would help for new macros when you get hung up somewhere, but your not sure the exact spot.

Any other tips for this type of problem would be helpful also.

Thanks.

Is there a way to display the text of the macro in a text box as it is playing out on your computer? I thought I had seen this done before, but now I can't figure out how to do it.

It would help for new macros when you get hung up somewhere, but your not sure the exact spot.

Any other tips for this type of problem would be helpful also.

Thanks.

In the Debug menu of the Editor you can select to step through the macro. You can select "Use test window" which will open a window that will accept any of the TextType information during the test. Something else you can select is the "Variable Values" option under the "Debug Windows" selection of the Debug menu. This will open a window providing you with real-time information of what information is contained within each variable.

A useful tool when debugging is the "Breakpoint" tool which allows you to set "pauses" in the macro without actually inserting a pause. This way, if you are debugging your macro, the macro will run till it hits a breakpoint and then stop... if you haven't seen any problems at this point, you can make the macro continue on to the next breakpoint. This is very useful for locating a problem-spot of code.

Despite how useful these techniques are, I personally have always used much less-convenient work-arounds (having only learned of these useful tools after years of using ME). My personal favorite is to insert a Text Box or two (or three) scattered throughout which display the key variables I'm interested in.

Hopefully this information is what you were looking for!

Good luck!

My personal favorite is to insert a Text Box or two (or three) scattered throughout which display the key variables I'm interested in.

Hopefully this information is what you were looking for!

Good luck!

Thank you Scasper

This must be what I was thinking of.

One other good one is to put some 5-10 second delays in so you can make sure your cursor is in the right spot. This also gives you time if something is not correct to right click on the little running man to stop the macro before it goes off track. Later, when all works good you can go back and reduce the delay(s).

If anyone else has new macro troubleshooting tips, feel free to add them on.

• 2 months later...

Here is another good trobleshooting tool to help find where the trouble spot is in a macro. Works great!

You can use a sound wave file. You just insert where you think the problem is, if that is not it, you can move it around.

The command is under multimedia in ME.

There are a lot of .wav files. You can do a search on your computer to see where they are at.

This is where this one was located on my computer:

C:\WINDOWS\Media\Windows XP Exclamation.wav>

Sound Wave File: Windows XP Exclamation.wav

Here is another good trobleshooting tool to help find where the trouble spot is in a macro. Works great!

You can use a sound wave file. You just insert where you think the problem is, if that is not it, you can move it around.

The command is under multimedia in ME.

There are a lot of .wav files. You can do a search on your computer to see where they are at.

This is where this one was located on my computer:

C:\WINDOWS\Media\Windows XP Exclamation.wav>

Sound Wave File: Windows XP Exclamation.wav

Great tip, thanks