Macro Express Forums

Scheduled activation no longer working?

Hi,

I had a pretty reliable macros which was working for me for about a month. Every morning at 6:30 AM, it would launch a program, jump through a number of menus, etc... and then terminate.

But very recently (last few days), the macros hasn't fired as expected... and I haven't been able to figure out why. One thing that catches my attention... my system automatically upgraded/installed Windows Powershell 1.0. Any reason to think that's an issue?

The macros is working perfectly for me now if I click "run now". Can someone walk me through the exact settings that should be in the scheduled activation, for it to run (let's say) at 3 PM today?

I start by doing this:

- right click on the macros, click properties.

- under 'activations' tab, highlight my 'Scheduled' activation and select 'Properties',

- Select: Run the macro "daily".

- Under schedule tab:

- Run at 3:00 PM

- Check again in 1 day

- Under Range tab:

- Run the macro indefinitely

- Start calculating the next runtime at: 11:30 PM, on 3/31/2009. (I was up late last night tweaking this.. does this value matter, if I just changed the schedule today?)

- Run the macro on... Monday-Friday.

What am I doing wrong?

Powershell should have no effect unless you're doing something really strange in the macro with PS scripts.

That sounds correct. In this case the "Calculate from" is irrelevant I believe. Make sure your system date and time are correct.

Perhaps create a simple macro that launches a display box or something and try to schedule it and see if that fires like it should. My guess is that your macro is firing but one of the initial commands has some sort of problem. Also check in your macro list and see what the "Last Run Time" is showing. If you can make a simple one that does not fire export it to an MEX and post if here and I'll see what it does on my system.

Powershell should have no effect unless you're doing something really strange in the macro with PS scripts.

That sounds correct. In this case the "Calculate from" is irrelevant I believe. Make sure your system date and time are correct.

Perhaps create a simple macro that launches a display box or something and try to schedule it and see if that fires like it should. My guess is that your macro is firing but one of the initial commands has some sort of problem. Also check in your macro list and see what the "Last Run Time" is showing. If you can make a simple one that does not fire export it to an MEX and post if here and I'll see what it does on my system.

Hi Cory,

I confirmed "last run time" isn't updating, so the macros really isn't firing. System date/time are definitely correct... I'm a little baffled, never had problems before. I also tried rebooting several times.

I'll try adding a schedule for a new/simple MEX as you suggested.

PS. Oh, not (intentionally) using powershell at all... in any way/shape/form.

Try running a macro using the OS native scheduler. The command line will probably be:

"C:\Program Files\Macro Express Pro\MeProc.exe" /AMacroName

Change C: if your Program Files folder is on a different drive, and replace MacroName with the name of your macro - and you need the quotes.

If that works, then your problem lies with Macro Express. If it doesn't work, your problem lies elsewhere.

I deleted the activation, and re-added it... and just doing that seems to have resolved the problem.

Was the activation ever and ME3 macro that was converted or imported?

Was the activation ever and ME3 macro that was converted or imported?

Actually, I believe it was. I take it that means something to you?

I know for a fact the macro was converted/imported... I don't recall if the activation itself came over automatically, or if I had to reset it. This would've been 2-3 months ago.

If it was working at some point after the conversion then I would ignore my comments. If it stopped working afterward I would suspect the import or conversion. Early on the import and conversion had some minor issues that I detected in the beta program so it's conceivable it could be the problem. You might have stumbled on a new conversion bug and I encourage you to try to replicate and report to ISS for all of us. No good in leaving a land mine unmarked for the next GI.

If I were you I would create a new MEP macro file. Import that macro from whatever ME3 file you once had and see if you can make it happen again. If you can report it to ISS with the samples.

If it was working at some point after the conversion then I would ignore my comments. If it stopped working afterward I would suspect the import or conversion. Early on the import and conversion had some minor issues that I detected in the beta program so it's conceivable it could be the problem. You might have stumbled on a new conversion bug and I encourage you to try to replicate and report to ISS for all of us. No good in leaving a land mine unmarked for the next GI.

If I were you I would create a new MEP macro file. Import that macro from whatever ME3 file you once had and see if you can make it happen again. If you can report it to ISS with the samples.

It was definitely working for quite some time after the conversion, so I will ignore your comments. :)