Macro Express Forums

Any way simply to get one key stroke from the keyboard?

nevada

I would like a macro to do one thing if the user types j and another if he types k. It should ignore all other keystrokes.

I haven't found a command that simply says accept one keystroke.

I thought about simply enabling a macro for j and a macro for k until I found it you can't assign j and k as hot keys.

The set variable from prompt command requires keying of a enter key and covers up screen area which the user needs to be able to see. You apparently can't control the size of the prompt box.

I discovered the following

Wait for Key Press: J

OR

Wait for Key Press: K

Sound Beep

works but how could you determine what keystroke the user keyed?

It seems like there should be a way of doing something so simple.

I would like a macro to do one thing if the user types j and another if he types k. It should ignore all other keystrokes.

I haven't found a command that simply says accept one keystroke.

I thought about simply enabling a macro for j and a macro for k until I found it you can't assign j and k as hot keys.

The set variable from prompt command requires keying of a enter key and covers up screen area which the user needs to be able to see. You apparently can't control the size of the prompt box.

I discovered the following

Wait for Key Press: J

OR

Wait for Key Press: K

Sound Beep

works but how could you determine what keystroke the user keyed?

It seems like there should be a way of doing something so simple.

Macro Express 3 does not have an "If Keypress =" command (or any decent workaround for it).

I don't believe Macro Express Pro does either (if it does, it isn't under the Logic category); however, ME Pro does allow for single key macro launches, so you could use J to launch a macro as well as K (or any other key). Keep in mind, however, that depending on what the macro does, you may cripple the user's ability to type meaningfully as long as Macro Express is active on the computer.

You can assign J and K as shortkey activated macros, rather than hotkeys. Use the Prefix key option and leave the prefix key field in the Preferences blank. You would want to make the macros window or program specific, or you would lose the use of the J and K keys on the keyboard for anything else.

You can assign J and K as shortkey activated macros, rather than hotkeys. Use the Prefix key option and leave the prefix key field in the Preferences blank. You would want to make the macros window or program specific, or you would lose the use of the J and K keys on the keyboard for anything else.

HAH this has some interesting applications for sure... you just showed us how to detect activity without the user knowing (unless they know the macro is running).

Macro activated by "k"

Text type: k

Whatever you want to do

:)