Macro Express Forums

Cannot paste text from a variable using text type?

I cannot paste a variable anymore with the text type %t[10]% it does not work or is very inconsistent. even with 5 second delays between the text type commands. I am trying to paste into an entry box on an order form on the internet.

Any help would be appreciated.

I cannot paste a variable anymore with the text type %t[10]% it does not work or is very inconsistent. even with 5 second delays between the text type commands. I am trying to paste into an entry box on an order form on the internet.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have the same problem pasting variables on the internet, only sometimes works. I use the clipboard.

On Excel the text type variable works fine.

yannis

I have written several industrial macros for banks, hospitals and other financial institutions with literally hundreds of thousands of iterations and they were all very challenging because they use Java. If your page in question isn't' a normal old school HTML form then you will continue to have problems like this. Usually what's happening is that the form appears to be ready but isn't. You fire text at a field and it does into the ether. The problem is there is no way of knowing when a Java applet is ready and no way of knowing it received the message. And Java has no type ahead buffer either. In a nutshell Java sucks for automation, no flow control whatsoever. Oh, and no completion indication either which is annoying when you get that one in 20 time it decides to nap for 30 seconds on something that normally takes one second.

Having said that I have spent a boatload of time coming up with solutions and I will pass along a few of the things I've learned. First use mouse clicks to navigate to fields. Normally I avoid mouse input like the plague because the targets are always moving but in this case they're more reliable. The problem with tabbing between fields is the every once in a while Java gets distracted and doesn't 'hear' your input. And as I said there's no apparent buffer. The next approach I employ is not to try to time and make everything perfect on the first attempt but rather take a multiple strike approach. Design your loops from the get go wit a recover and try again approach. Fire your data at the fields then come back and copy the fields back to confirm they're populated properly. Normally I try for something like 10 times max before writing the record out to an error log an starting over. Then once your fields are propagated properly hit save or whatever then got back to the record in whatever way you can and confirm entry. Since the number of times it fails are few you can afford to move fast as the time save in the 30 or so repetitions will more than make up for the occasional do over.