Macro Express Forums

Lost Pathway To Macroexpress

renee

we just changed servers on Monday and everyone is having trouble with the MacroExpress. The error message keeps popping up that says "Can't find Macro Express" and is looking for it C:\my documents." The MacroExpress3 is in C:\Program Files\MacroExpress3. When I clicked on MacExp it began to work fine for me, but 2 other users when I told them the same thing, it just put them back in the loop of Can't Find Macro Express. You have to click out of it about 10 times... ok maybe not that many. Can anyone help me??? Thanks - Renee :(

Renee,

I am not familiar with a message that says "Can't find Macro Express". There is a message that says that the macro file cannot be found. Could that be the message?

By default, the Macro Express program files are installed in the folder c:\Program Files\Macro Express3. Also by default Macro Express looks for the macro file in the c:\My Documents folder. The c:\My Documents folder is unique for every user.

From your description I suspect that the preferences were not ported to the new server. If that is the case, then each user could find the macro file by browsing to the correct location when Macro Express comes up.

I hope this helps.

Kevin, yes you had ALL the error messages correct (I had fixed it somehow on my computer and couldnt' recreate the errors). But when you said:

From your description I suspect that the preferences were not ported to the new server. If that is the case, then each user could find the macro file by browsing to the correct location when Macro Express comes up.

I'm unsure how to browse in this instance. Can you be more specific ;) Thanks a ton- Renee

I just meant that a dialog opens up and you click places to get to the file you want to open.

Macro Express will remember the last file that was opened. So if you open a macro file, the next time Macro Express runs, it will open the same file. If the preferences have been lost, then the path to the macro file will be gone and have to be reestablished. Just open the file to do that.

You could, of course, restore each user's preferences and that would restore the path to the macro file.

I've attached a file showing the error message we are getting. People who previously had the MeProc.exe file no longer have it. Can I copy it and put it in their C:\program files\macro express 3 folder? Some people's files never messed up, I was able to double click on the aforementioned file when I was getting those error messages and it worked! AGGG thanks for your patience - Renee

PESKY_ERRO_MESSAGES.doc

I've attached a file showing the error message we are getting.
The error message says:

Could not save file "C:\My Documents\macex.mex" because of the following error: Invalid filename.

This tells me that the end user does not have permission to write to macex.mex or to the c:\My Documents folder. It is possible the the user's My Documents folder is not on the c: drive. But, this sounds like a Network problem, not a problem with Macro Express.

People who previously had the MeProc.exe file no longer have it. Can I copy it and put it in their C:\program files\macro express 3 folder?
I cannot recommend manually copying some of the Macro Express files. You may try it and see if it works. But the only way I can ensure that things will work reliably for you is if you use the installer to install Macro Express.

Oh here is an error log in one users file.
The issues you are experiencing would more appropriately be handled by our technical support people. The forum is meant for users to help one another.

We do not recommend that you post crash reports to the forum. You can have the ISS Bug Reporter send the crash information to us automatically or you can submit crash information via the web page at www.macros.com/bugreport.htm. I have copied this crash report into our tracking system and removed it from the discussion forum.