Macro Express Forums

Can Directory Modification do this?

I"m new to V4.

I use OmniPage to automatically OCR incoming email attachments files and pdf them. Due to OmniPage limitations, the resulting files have to get saved in one particular folder ("F:\New OCR's") in this format: "1234;Johnson.pdf" OR "1234567;Contract.pdf", where the 4 or 7 digits before the first semicolon are the case account number.

Can ME watch that output folder and when a new file appears, copy the file to a new directory based upon the filename and save under a slightly different name. Examples:

"1234;Johnson.pdf" would be saved to folder S:\1234\ as "S:\1234\1234;Johnson;OCR'd.pdf"

"1234567;Contract.pdf" would be saved to folder S:\1234567\ as "S:\1234567\1234567;Contract;OCR'd.pdf"

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff Mazor

Yes, this is gaga-googoo. Like Paul said use the activation of directory modification and then suck the new file name as a string and parse out the bits to be used in the logic of your filing.

If it's possible that two files appear at nearly the same time I would be concerned with the second file not being recognized. You might want to add a routine at the end that checks for new files and repeats the macro in that case.

• 3 months later...

"use the activation of directory modification and then suck the new file name as a string and parse out the bits to be used in the logic of your filing.

CORY: How would I do this? It would be great, cause I could then send thd file to OmniPage for OCR and renaming (addiing "-ocr" before the ".pdf"

Please call if you can.

Jeff

954-962-3500

Use the Repeat with Folder command to get filenames.

The Variable Set From File path allows you to split a filepath into Drive, Path, Filename and Extension.

Don't want to be a pest, but can you give me an example? I need ME to notice the new file (as long as it does not end in "-ocr.pdf"), and then do things with it.

ME would watch folder F:\WP\ and its about 1000 subfolders (like F:\WP\Cases\4000\) for added image files that do NOT end in "-ocr.pdf" (like "MartinSmith.pdf"). When one is added, ME would copy that file to a corresponding folder in F:\Raw\, such as F:\Raw\Cases\4000\MartinSmith.pdf.

Then ME would (i) have OmniPage ocr the "Raw" file, (ii) rename the result by adding "-ocr" before the ".pdf", and (iii) save to the original folder. Since ME will ignore files that end in "-ocr.pdf", it will ignore the new "F:\WP\Cases\4000\MartinSmith-ocr.pdf."

I hope I'm being clear. I fear that the file watching will consume so much time, that it will be impractically slow. Thanks for reading this.

Jeffrey R. Mazor, Esq.

J. R. Mazor & Associates, P.A.

Presidential Circle Building

4000 Hollywood Blvd., Suite 265-s

Hollywood, FL 33021

Phone: 954-962-3500

Fax: 954-962-3560

Email: JMazor@Mazor.com

Let me try to explain this a bit more simply.

I have a folder I want to watch with a 1000 subfolders with even more files. I want to be able to quickly detect the new file, and the Repeat with Folder command takes over a half hour to run through all the files in the subfolders. Is there someway the activation can also deposit the new file and path into a variable to start with?