Macro Express Forums

Macro is locked !?!

One macro in my library i cannot edit any more. When trying there is showing the message:

You cannot edit this macro at this time because

it is currently locked by another user.

What does that mean? How do i unlock it? The other macros are editable.

Thank you.

Alexandra

It means that the macro file is locked by another instance of the editor. IE it's already open. If you don't appear to have it open already somewhere else I suggest logging off and back on to clear any locks.

I just experienced a lock on a VM (Virtual Machine) where I was certain to be the only potential editor and did not have the macro open. Given your other post on moving backup copies of MEX files I think I know what your problem was. In my case I had my macro open on my regular desktop PC and was making changes to test on the VM. So I would make some changes and copy the file over to the VM but in one case I wanted to make a quick timing change and went to edit it on the VM and was thwarted by the error that it was locked. And I could edit other macros.

Here's the scoop: The editing locks must be saved in the actual file. What was happening was I had the file open for editing on my desktop machine so the macro was locked. When I copied it over to the VM that lock was in the file and MEP thinks it's locked for editing.!

FYI there's a setting in the preferences to turn off the macro locking.

FYI there's a setting in the preferences to turn off the macro locking.
I just discovered that the macro locking preference is not working and have reported it as a bug. The problem is that it's locking the macros regardless of the box setting. However on the 'other' machine unchecking it allows the macro o be edited. It's almost like it's backward.