Macro Express Forums

Keystroke for left mouse click?

I've just recovered with difficulty after mistakenly assigning an unwanted activation to a macro. I'm running short of hotkeys so thought I'd use the special key to the immediate left of the '1' key (and above Tab). It has three symbols on it, one like '|'. However, when I assigned it I didn't notice that ME Pro called it 'LMouse'. So you can imagine that it caused chaos for a while, as every time I tried to remove it (using my mouse!) it activated the macro :(

Not something I'll do again. Is that key a standard 'alias' for left mouse click?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

That reminds me of a definition of the word "recursion" I saw several years ago!

Recursion: see recursion

:rolleyes:

(I can do that now, but my facial expression at the time was rather different. I'm just relieved the macro wasn't attempting anything potentially fatal!)

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

That made me chuckle. Then it made me think I could make some rally fun April fools day macros. Hmmm....

I have no idea about the left mouse button alias thing but I do know you're British and as such you have a different keyboard than us in the US. The character you described is directly over the enter key for us and it's called a "pipe". Ours has the "`" and with a shift the "~". Might be something to that but I doubt it.

I was just looking at the bizarre layout of the UK keyboard. In the US we have two Alternate function keys flanking the space bar that we label "Alt". But in the UK your right Alt is labeled "Alt Gr". Gr? As in Grrrrr!? Is that the one you use when you're angry? :D

Also does anyone else find it profound that the only key on our keyboards with no label is the space bar? I guess they didn't want to fall into the conundrum of "This page intentionally left blank".

In the US we have two Alternate function keys flanking the space bar that we label "Alt". But in the UK your right Alt is labeled "Alt Gr". Gr? As in Grrrrr!? Is that the one you use when you're angry? :D

A few years ago while travelling in the German- and Italian-speaking parts of Switzerland, I used computers in public libraries to keep in touch. Slight differences in the layouts between Swiss keyboards and English Canadian/American keyboards made touch typing all but impossible. For example, Y and Z are switched.

But as someone who normally does not need a mouse, the different Alt keys drove me bananas. The "normal" Alt key did what I expected: press and release to switch keyboard input focus between document and menu bar; and use as a modifier key for, say, Alt + F4. The "Alt Gr" key, on the other hand, seems to be a second level shift key: Shift + key inserts one symbol or accented letter, and Alt Gr + the same key inserts a different symbol or accented letter.

But as someone who normally does not need a mouse, the different Alt keys drove me bananas.
I just had this great visual of a frustrated foreigner in some cool café on a rental computer periodically disrupting the ambiance by cursing while trying to write a simple email.