Macro Express Forums

Possibly OT: slow macro

I've been aware of this problem for a week or so and I'm enquiring in about it in other places because I'm guessing it's probably an XP issue, not ME Pro. But as its symptom is the dramatic slow-down of at least one of my macros I thought maybe one of the experts here might be able to help please.

In brief, I have a macro that uses pixel identification to change a folder that's open in List view to Detail view and set up the column widths conveniently. It's scoped to Explorer, activated by a hotkey (Ctl+d), and works fine, taking a second or so to finish. However, lately it's started taking 6 seconds or so to finish. I've started testing it at frequent intervals (like worrying at a nagging toothache) and note that shortly after reboot it's fine, then say 15 mins later it's running on treacle again.

Does that so far ring any bells with other ME Pro users - i.e. a macro that seems to slow down significantly sometimes?

However, after much detective work I'm assuming this is associated with something else. If I use Process Monitor, even though I'm not actively doing much in any of the applications currently loaded, I see hundreds if not thousands of one type of entry dominating. Here's just a fragment extract:

Process = Lsass.exe, PID = 804

Operation, Path, Result

RegOpenKey HKLM\SECURITY\Policy SUCCESS

RegOpenKey HKLM\SECURITY\Policy\SecDesc SUCCESS

RegQueryValue HKLM\SECURITY\Policy\SecDesc\(Default) BUFFER OVERFLOW

RegCloseKey HKLM\SECURITY\Policy\SecDesc SUCCESS

RegQueryValue HKLM\SECURITY\Policy\SecDesc\(Default) SUCCESS

RegCloseKey HKLM\SECURITY\Policy\SecDesc SUCCESS

RegCloseKey HKLM\SECURITY\Policy SUCCESS

RegOpenKey HKLM\SECURITY\Policy SUCCESS

RegQueryValue HKLM\SECURITY\Policy\SecDesc\(Default) BUFFER OVERFLOW

etc

Meaningless to me, but maybe a clue for someone else, whether or not ME related ?

FWIW, this is a Quad Core Q9450 2.66 GHz, 4 GB (XP SP2 uses about 3 GB of it).

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Is it only the macro that runs slowly, or is it your entire machine?

In an earlier post (Machine slowdown), I complained about how MEP slowed my machine down from time to time.

I've now written an AutoIt macro to terminate and restart MEP, and that always fixes the problem. I am now fairly convinced that this only occurs when Outlook is running, and perhaps has just received an email.

Thanks.

Is it only the macro that runs slowly, or is it your entire machine?

I've assumed the entire PC but I'll have to do some methodical tests. Any recommendations on a reliable, objective test please?

In an earlier post (Machine slowdown), I complained about how MEP slowed my machine down from time to time.

I've now written an AutoIt macro to terminate and restart MEP, and that always fixes the problem. I am now fairly convinced that this only occurs when Outlook is running, and perhaps has just received an email.

The last time my macro went into glacial mode I closed and restarted ME Pro but the macro's performance was unchanged. Seems to take a reboot to restore it, and even that wasn't doing so consistently for a while.

I have Outlook 2002 (came with my Pocket PC and I use it primarily for syncing) but don't use its email (or Outlook Express).

--

Any recommendations on a reliable, objective test please?

Well, for the slowdowns I experience, no test is needed - it's so obvious! But try bringing up the Task Manager. I do a ctrl-alt-delete and select Task Manager. Then I wait....; finally that solid green icon appears in the tray, but no Task Manager. So I do aother ctrl-alt-delete, again selecting Task Manager. After another 20 seconds have elapsed, TM finally makes a belated appearance.

Major edit to my post of last night:

I've still not discovered why this macro sometimes runs fast (1 second) and sometimes slow (6 seconds). But as it stands it's too complex to share so I'll write something much simpler. Probably just drag the mouse cursor across the screen. Then maybe others can try and see if they get the same mysterious changes in running speed that I get.

Meanwhile, if anyone has any new ideas on why I'm getting this intermittent slow performance I'd appreciate hearing please.

As per my opening post, it could of course be nothing at all to do with ME Pro. But discussions with XP experts elsewhere has so far not identified the cause.

--