Macro Express Forums

ME Self Terminating - Requiring Reboot

Ok, this will almost certainly need to find its way into an official bug report, but I'm not quite sure what is actually happening, so I don't know what to tell the ISS guys. I'm hoping somebody on these forums has a) had similar issues, B) understands a little about what is probably happening, and/or c) can help me know what to keep an eye out for so I can attempt to duplicate the error with some margin of success.

Here it is:

Macro Express terminates, without warning, from time to time. It simply stops running. I'll be using it, happy as a clam, letting it do my work for me like a lovely little indentured servant, when suddenly I release a hotkey and... nothing.

Hmmm... maybe I didn't push the key down all the way.

Retry.

Nothing.

Crap!

I look for "Forrest" (that's for you Cory), but he's not there. Strange, he's usually there, even when no macro is running. No MEP icon in the task-bar, either... well that's not unusual, since that icon tends to hide, even when I've set it to "Always Show". So I click the little carat to see hidden icons.

No MEP.

$%@&*!!!!! MEP has terminated! DAGGUMIT!!!!

<breathe deeply>

Ok, Start > Programs > StartUp > Macro Express Pro > *click*

<wait for it> ... <wait for it> ... <wait for it>

Nothing. FNA.

Try it again. Nothing. Ah ball-caps.

Reboot entire machine > MEP back in action.

So, anybody else have similar problems or know enough about computer systems to throw me a bone?

If it helps:

Windows XP Pro SP3

AMD Sempron Processor 3000+

1.79 GHz, 960 MB RAM

Running dual 17" monitors

Oh, one more thing:

After rebooting, MEP starts with a blank macro file. This is probably the most concerning part of the crash... In general if you shut down, when you launch again, MEP starts up where it left off. But with this crash... I get nervous about losing information. Fortunately I've mostly figured out the Backup files problem I was having before, so it's not quite as scary as it was before... and yet...

Top of the head thoughts:

1. Tried a recent MEX backup?

2. Anything in XP Event Viewer offer a clue?

3. Any unfamiliar entries in XP Services list?

4. Practical to try a recent XP System Restore?

5. Confident no viruses/trojans?

6. XP Task Manager processes look OK?

7. No serious HD fragmentation?

8. If no joy, may be worth biting bullet & re-installing ME Pro.

I do vaguely recall a similar mysterious abrupt termination myself some months ago. Just been searching for it in vain. (And managed to somehow lose the first draft of this post in the course of that!)

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

After rebooting, MEP starts with a blank macro file. This is probably the most concerning part of the crash... In general if you shut down, when you launch again, MEP starts up where it left off. But with this crash... I get nervous about losing information. Fortunately I've mostly figured out the Backup files problem I was having before, so it's not quite as scary as it was before... and yet...

If Macro Express crashes -- it does not happen often, but it does happen with Pro, and it did happen with Version 3 -- and upon restart, Macro Express opens a blank macro file, there is usually an easier solution than messing with the backup files:

Go to "File" menu, choose "Reopen...," and then choose the most recently opened macro file, which is almost always first on the list.

I created a batch - will help when something did not work

just a simple terminate and restart

----------------------------------------------

TASKKILL /F /IM MacExp.exe

cd\

cd c:\programme\

cd Macro Express Pro

start macexp.exe

Run Forrest Run! :)

No idea what's causing your crash but I have had a few crashes lately that leave MEP as a process. I would have to go to the task manager to kill the process before reloading. I think ME sees that process and aborts the launch because it thinks it is running.

Now you just need to isolate what is causing the problem...