Macro Express Forums

MEP vs ME3 Control Capture Problems

Ok, so I've finally gotten around to moving some of my bulkier macros from ME3 to MEP, and I've run into a relatively serious problem that I hope will have a very simpl solution.

One of my primary applications is a program that provides me with a lot of various details about the particular account I'm dealing with "right now." When I've finished reviewing this particular case, I run a macro that gathers pertinent information for me and the pastes notes into a Control-enabled text box within the application.

In ME3 this worked seamlessly. Me MEP, it does not. I think I've figured out why, and I need to find a way to make it work right.

Here's the problem: The title of the application window changes from one case to another. The program name is always the same, but the various account-specific information changes.

In ME3, that wasn't important. ME3 captured the program name, but left the rest of the title out, or ignored it or something. MEP captures everything and I can't figure out how to change that.

Here's the code from ME3:

<GETCONTROL2P:01:E22CLIENT.EXE:SHELLFRAUDLINK005:1COMPOSITE1COMPOSITE1Button1COMPOSITE4Edit>

And here's the same code from MEP

<GET CONTROL Flags="1" Program_Name="E22CLIENT.EXE" Class="SHELL" Title="Amegy Bank of Texas - DDA - FRAUDLINK-No History for New Account" Control="\"COMPOSITE\",\"1\",\"COMPOSITE\",\"1\",\"Button\",\"1\",\"COMPOSITE\",\"1\",\"Edit\",\"4\"" Variable="%C[1]%" Caption="FRAUDLINK" Partial="TRUE" Wildcards="FALSE"/>

Notice the title: "Amegy Bank of Texas - DDA - FRAUDLINK-No History for New Account"

I don't only deal with Amegy Bank, and the "No History" portion varies from one account to another. The only thing that remains consistent throughout the day is "FRAUDLINK." I've tried manually removing everything except "FRAUDLINK" from the Direct Editor script with no success.

My current work-around is either going to be to continue using ME3 for this particular macro set, or (more likely) use a Mouse Move, Mouse Click, Mouse Move series of commands (which I really don't want to have to do.

Please somebody help me make this command effective in MEP! Thanks!

The fastest way to find the command causing the crash is to enable the option to log all commands in the macro. Let it crash and see which one was the last in the log.

The fastest way to find the command causing the crash is to enable the option to log all commands in the macro. Let it crash and see which one was the last in the log.

I'm assuming you're referring to the Log Errors command from the Debug Category... I've got that at the beginning of both Macro A and B, and the only thing being logged is:

"Monday, May 11, 2009 10:21:30 AM: Macro Completed (Macro B )"

and

"Monday, May 11, 2009 10:22:30 AM: Macro Completed (Macro A)"

Nothing logs at the time of the crash.

No. Miscellaneous tab > Log all Commands.

FYI I sent you an email as well.

Brilliant, Cory!

The last few times I tested to find the crash location I noticed it was not crashing at the same point in the macro (not even always in the same macro). I've begun logging the commands as you suggested, and the last two crashes occurred once in Macro A (running as a sub-routine to Macro B ) and the second time it crashed immediately upon running Macro B (after having made it through a Macro B > A routine successfully).

So far the results do show one consistency: The last command to be logged in both instances is Save All Variables. Now, I know that two points make a line, not a pattern... but a pattern has to start somewhere. I'm going to keep track of this bug and I figure if it stays true for the next 2-3 instances, I'll have my culprit.

I can't check my personal email from work, Cory, but I'll be sure to read it as soon as I get a chance. Thanks again, Cory!