Macro Express Forums

Customizing Favorites

In ME3 I was able to customize my command categories so that they made sense to me, or so that I could put commands that I often used together into the same category. Example: If Variable, Else, Break, End if, all made sense to have in the Variables list.

I'm trying to figure out how to do that in MEP. If Variable especially. But I can't seem to figure it out, and the Help files don't appear to have anything on customization.

The closest thing I've found is "Customize Favorites," (about which I couldn't find anything in the Help files) which isn't very user friendly: you can only select one thing at a time, and double-clicking doesn't send the item over to the Favorites window - forcing WAY too much mouse-moving for somebody who uses macros as much as possible. What's more, you can add a "category folder" to the Favorites window, but it seems to be a folder in "icon" only, as the commands you add to it simply get listed below the folder. There does not appear to be any way to put these commands into the category folder. As a test, I created two different category folders, put several commands under each, and then saved it and went to the Favorite Commands list. The items were all listed underneath, with still no way to put them into their particular category.

Maybe I'm just tired... No, I'm definitely tired, but maybe it's the fatigue that's messing me up. Can somebody shed some light on how I might customize my command categories and have it still look nice and organized?

Steve,

I've always kept my Favorites in plain alphabetic order. But to check whether I understand what you're asking for I just added a Variables category as shown here:

MEPro-CustomizingFavorites.jpg

Is that what you want? After adding the new folder, 'Variables', I first transferred across its required contents, then indented each of them under the new category.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I have found the favorites frustrating and another one of those things that sounds great initially and then after a little use you find it's missing certain things or does silly things like only inserting commands at the bottom which you then have to move. I have started using the Code Snippets for a few commands instead as a sort of favorites. At least I can name them as I like here. Also several command I set a certain way 95% of the time so I can predefine the command. But still it doesn't have categories or icons so it's still not ideal. I've actually been toying with the idea of having a pop up macro to select commands from instead. This way I can categorize, hot key, name as I please and have icons that are more meaningful to me.

Steve,

I've always kept my Favorites in plain alphabetic order. But to check whether I understand what you're asking for I just added a Variables category as shown here:

MEPro-CustomizingFavorites.jpg

Is that what you want? After adding the new folder, 'Variables', I first transferred across its required contents, then indented each of them under the new category.

--

Never did hear back from you on this Steve? Did it solve your problem?

--

Never did hear back from you on this Steve? Did it solve your problem?

--

Hey Terry,

Sorry, this is the first chance I've had to view the image. The problem I have with the Favorites is that the category is not collapsible. I like things to be nice an hidden when I don't need them. I would also like to be able to customize the individual category folder. It might seem silly, but I am much more efficient when using icons to help me find the category I want than when I am just reading category names.

(If there are weird typos in this post, forgive them. I think the batteries are dying in my wireless keyboard.)

It is! Just click the '-' as usual.

--

Ok, well that's not an option for me. I'm clearly doing something wrong.

Let me go through the steps of creating a favorites list, you tell me where I flubbed up.

1. I open the Script Editor
  2. I click on Options > Customize Favorites
  3. On the left I have "Macro Commands" on the right I have "Favorites" - In the middle I have a Folder icon and two grayed-out arrows pointing right and left (respectively).
  4. I single-click the folder icon (whose Alt-Text is "New Category") and get prompted for the name of the new cateogory.
  5. I name that category "Clipboards" and hit <Enter> or click OK. The category gets added as a folder to the Favorites window.
  6. I now systematically click on each of the clipboard items from the Commands window and then click the right arrow to add items one-at-a-time to the favorites window under the "Clipboards" folder.
  7. I repeat steps 4 through 6 as necessary.
  8. When I've created all my favorites, I click OK

Now, when I go back to my script editor, I select "Favorite Commands" from the drop-down menu and this is what I see:

post-2634-1244381463_thumb.jpg

... then indented each of them under the new category.

Ahhhh... I think I just figured out what you meant by that.

I tested it and yeah... it works now. What a tremendously cumbersome feature, though. It's bad enough not being able to double-click commands in order to add them to the Favorites window, but not being able to select multiple items for adding, either? That's just poor design, IMHO.

And then, to actually put the new items into a specific category folder, you have to repeat the process: Select item, move to arrow, click. Lather-Rinse-Repeat. Can't select multiple items. Can't just drag and drop them.

I love MEP, but this feature is way under-cooked.

Quick Edit

Ok, it looks like once you've indented one item, as long as you have the indented item selected, all additional items that get moved over, will be indented, too. This is, at least, something. Still not convinced it's done, but medium rare is definitely better than rare.

Glad you figured it out. (I can delete my nominal submenu now and lapse back to plain alpha!)

I agree with your points. I'd describe them as 'indifferent' design. Small points individually (and other similar ones crop up in various parts of the UI), but collectively I think they tarnish the image. Needs methodical attention IMO. Have you reported formally?

See also the bug identified here:

http://pgmacros.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=3903

--