Macro Express Forums

Macro Express Crash Forcing Reboot

I've got a recurring MEP crash (ticket number ISS7052) that refuses to allow me to re-launch MEP without first rebooting my computer.

I've checked the task manager to see if MEP is still somehow running invisibly, but there is nothing listed that I can reasonably connect to MEP.

Does anybody know of any way around a complete reboot? This crappy crash happens 2-3 times a day, and every time I log out of my system for any reason my boss gets a report about it. Occasional computer problems are an accepted part of working with computers, and he understands that. But 2-3 (sometimes more) reboots each day makes him... apprehensive. I'm afraid management is going to strip MEP away altogether if it keeps forcing me to reboot so often (I purchased this MEP license myself, so they don't care if it is 'money wasted').

Thanks

I've checked the task manager to see if MEP is still somehow running invisibly, but there is nothing listed that I can reasonably connect to MEP.

These are the executables used by Macro Express Pro. Please check to see if any of them are running after the crash. Some may keep Macro Express Pro from loading but the others, later in the list, should not.

• macexp.exe - Player
  • macedit.exe - Explorer
  • macscript.exe - Script Editor
  • caputil.exe - Capture utility used when capturing (recording) a macro
  • firsttime.exe - First time wizard
  • macmenu.exe - Menu builder

• licprog.exe - Used to enter the license when running on Vista
  • macdef.exe - Resets the preferences to their default values
  • meproc.exe - Passes command line parameters to the player
  • meproc64.exe - Gets information from 64 bit processes
  • mslocate.exe - Mouse locator
  • quickwiz.exe - Quick Wizards
  • restart_macexp.exe - Restarts Macro Express Pro

These are the executables used by Macro Express Pro. Please check to see if any of them are running after the crash. Some may keep Macro Express Pro from loading but the others, later in the list, should not.

• macexp.exe - Player
  • macedit.exe - Explorer
  • macscript.exe - Script Editor
  • caputil.exe - Capture utility used when capturing (recording) a macro
  • firsttime.exe - First time wizard
  • macmenu.exe - Menu builder

• licprog.exe - Used to enter the license when running on Vista
  • macdef.exe - Resets the preferences to their default values
  • meproc.exe - Passes command line parameters to the player
  • meproc64.exe - Gets information from 64 bit processes
  • mslocate.exe - Mouse locator
  • quickwiz.exe - Quick Wizards
  • restart_macexp.exe - Restarts Macro Express Pro

Oh wow, thanks for the list, Kevin. The next time it happens (fingers crossed that it won't...) I'll be sure to check for these specific .exe's

EDIT

Well, I feel kind of dumb. I don't know how I'd missed it before, but it was the macexp.exe that was hanging around. Killed it and had no problem relaunching MEP.

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
FYI recently several of my crash bugs leave MacExp.exe running.

Yep, the same thing happens to me too..!

This used to not happen in XP but now in Vista, it does.

When I try to kill MacExp.exe process in the task manager, I get a Vista dialog that reads: Unable to Terminate process. The operation could not be completed. Access is denied.

The process shows BUT when crashed, MacExp.exe is the only process visible in Task manager. MaxEdit.exe and MaxApp.Exe are nowhere to be found!!!