Macro Express Forums

Capturing the Control Key?

edszr

Hi All,

We're testing out the 30 day eval copy of Macro Express and so far we really love it. We have several web based surveys that we have to test regularly, and ME seems like it could really help us out with automating that.

Here's my problem: One of the web surveys we test has a question where we need to select multiple answers by holding down the control key and using the mouse to click on all the answers we want to select. When I'm done capturing the macro and replay it, it doesn't replicate the holding down of the control key. Looking at ME help I see that I can insert control key down/up commands in the script, but the script is so long that I have no way of finding where in the script I would need to insert these commands. Is there some setting/preference I could set that would allow capture of the control key by default?

thanks,

Ed

Hi All,

We're testing out the 30 day eval copy of Macro Express and so far we really love it. We have several web based surveys that we have to test regularly, and ME seems like it could really help us out with automating that.

Here's my problem: One of the web surveys we test has a question where we need to select multiple answers by holding down the control key and using the mouse to click on all the answers we want to select. When I'm done capturing the macro and replay it, it doesn't replicate the holding down of the control key. Looking at ME help I see that I can insert control key down/up commands in the script, but the script is so long that I have no way of finding where in the script I would need to insert these commands. Is there some setting/preference I could set that would allow capture of the control key by default?

thanks,

Ed

Hi Ed,

To find where you need to put the <ctrl Down> / <Ctrl UP> parts in the macro, you can use a text box to appear at various points in the script. This would help you narrow down where the macro is clicking.

Another way you can minimize code is an option that is located in the Recording screen. Check the "Only Capture Mouse Clicks". I am assuming your code is extremely long because the macro is recording mouse locations with delays.

Hi there...thanks for your suggestions....they helped me figure out where to insert the control down/up commands. It took me about 30 mins to get it right though...too bad there's not an easier/quicker way to do this....any idea why the control keys are not captured like the other keys?

thanks again for your help,

Ed