Macro Express Forums

Date/Time var sanity check

Supposed I have a date/time var I want to display this time to a user, am I correct that there is no direct way to control the format? IE I will only get the regional system time format. What I am looking for is like the Date/Time command where I can choose to save it as a text var or type it out and specify the format. EG "YYYYMMDD HHNN".

The only reasonable workaround is that I could use the Modify Date/Time to extract the components, pad, massage, and reassemble. In this case I'm calculating time estimates and rates so having a value of 10 seconds looking like "12/30/1899 12:00:10 AM" is not useful. This is the tack I'll take for now but I thought I would just check quick to make sure I'm not missing something obvious.

Supposed I have a date/time var I want to display this time to a user, am I correct that there is no direct way to control the format? IE I will only get the regional system time format. What I am looking for is like the Date/Time command where I can choose to save it as a text var or type it out and specify the format. EG "YYYYMMDD HHNN".

The only reasonable workaround is that I could use the Modify Date/Time to extract the components, pad, massage, and reassemble. In this case I'm calculating time estimates and rates so having a value of 10 seconds looking like "12/30/1899 12:00:10 AM" is not useful. This is the tack I'll take for now but I thought I would just check quick to make sure I'm not missing something obvious.

Didn't we discuss something very similar in

http://pgmacros.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=3758 ?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I do remember a couple of posts were we were on the subject of time but I couldn't remember where or if we specifically spoke of that. I ended up doing the math then converting it back to time and extracting hours, minutes, and seconds. But this gets very long quick. I mean first I do my math, that's a couple of lines, then I convert to time, then I extract HMS as integer, convert to string, pad for those less than 10, replaces spaces with zeros, and finally accumulate into a usable string. It can get close to 20 lines of simple code in no time. And in this case I was tracking 5 different times. It's a little cumbersome.