Macro Express Forums

Reporting Bugs - Question

I have a specific crash that happens several time a day. When the crash happens, ME automatically offers to report the crash with pertinent details.

My question is this: Should I go through with it every time? Or is once enough?

Part of me figures that the more instances of the crash that are reported, the more information ISS will be able to glean from the problem, increasing the likelihood of them being able to find the cause and fix it.

Another part of me doesn't want to be annoying.

Anybody out there have any advice on this?

Obviously, Kevin, Stan, Chris, etc. who actually work at ISS, your input would be the most valuable; but I know Terry reports a number of bugs, as well as Cory, so if you guys know what ISS's preference is, and you see this question first, please let me know.

Thanks evwybuddy.

The more reports we have, the better we are able to track down the actual cause of the issue, so it is preferable to have multiple reports of the same crash. Sometimes issues that seem to be the same problem are actually multiple issues while one issue may cause several different problems across the program. Once we receive the reports, we will associate them together in our bug tracking software so when the issue is fixed, you should only receive one notice instead of multiple notices.

The more reports we have, the better we are able to track down the actual cause of the issue, so it is preferable to have multiple reports of the same crash. Sometimes issues that seem to be the same problem are actually multiple issues while one issue may cause several different problems across the program. Once we receive the reports, we will associate them together in our bug tracking software so when the issue is fixed, you should only receive one notice instead of multiple notices.

Great, thank you. I'll be sure to continue reporting the crash, then. Thanks again!

I had the same quandary but ISS has always said "bring it on" which I think is really cool of them. However I do not report all of my crashes because at times I believe it would be overwhelming in some cases. If it happens once every couple of days I'll report it but if it's happening 10 times in one hour I'm not. Often if I find a crash I will poke at it with a stick to see if I can vary anything or notice anything related to the crash so I will purposefully crash it multiple times. However if I observe something interesting I will send the report with the additional notes.

One thing I did recently learn is that it's less than efficient for them to blindly refer to "My last crash". You see I often find a crash and play around with it then discover something and email them what I found. However I would simply reference the last crash report and that's difficult for them to sync up so it's better if you refer to it by the characteristics of the problem.

ISS: It might be cool if somehow the crash report generated a unique reference number for the user.

ISS: It might be cool if somehow the crash report generated a unique reference number for the user.

Each time a crash occurs on a specific computer a number is incremented. This number is included in the crash report. (See 'Report: #00123', for example.) I know that Steve Casper has had 123 crashes on one of his computers. I know that Cory has crashes on a variety of separate computers because his crash report number is often 1 or 2.

As Jason stated, we prefer that you send all crash reports. Some seemingly identical crash reports may contain slightly different information. Sometimes the clue to the solution is in one of the crash reports that has one additional piece of information that is different from all the others. Even if we get 10 crash reports in an hour, if they are the same, we merge them into one tracking issue.

I know that Cory has crashes on a variety of separate computers because his crash report number is often 1 or 2.
That and I am often running in a VM for which I don't 'save' my session.

Still it might be nice if there was some GUID for these.