Macro Express Forums

Off Topic Excel Question

Hey gurus.

I have a not-very-MEP-related question, but since I know many, if not most, of the posters on this forum are savvy on numerous applications, I was hoping to get a really quick Excel assist.

I am building a relatively basic spreadsheet, but I'm having a logistical problem. Here's a very simple example of what I'm trying to do:

Sheet 1, Cell A1 = 100

Sheet 2, Cells A1:A300 = Sheet 1, A1

In other words, I need each cell of a 300 cell long column in Sheet 2 to match the contents of Sheet 1, A1.

The simple answer is just to drag-duplicate the entire Sheet 1 A column and then drag-duplicate the Sheet 2 A column. The problem with that is that I have other information in the A column that I can't move out of the way (not conveniently, anyway), and also, because I want to be able to manipulate all the information in Sheet 2 by simply making a change to Sheet 1, A1.

Traditionally, I've just copy and pasted the =Sheet1!A1 text into each cell that needs it, but for a column 300 cells (or more) it is an ugly burden that I'd like to avoid.

So if there is a trick to be able to paste =Sheet1!A1 into a range of cells all at once, I'd be grateful for the knowledge.

Thank you for being patient with my non-MEP request.

Worse comes to worst, I'll build a macro that does:

Repeat start = 300 times

Text Type =Sheet1!A1

arrow down

Repeat End

Hey look! That's ME related! phew!

Hey gurus.

I have a not-very-MEP-related question, but since I know many, if not most, of the posters on this forum are savvy on numerous applications, I was hoping to get a really quick Excel assist.

I am building a relatively basic spreadsheet, but I'm having a logistical problem. Here's a very simple example of what I'm trying to do:

Sheet 1, Cell A1 = 100

Sheet 2, Cells A1:A300 = Sheet 1, A1

In other words, I need each cell of a 300 cell long column in Sheet 2 to match the contents of Sheet 1, A1.

The simple answer is just to drag-duplicate the entire Sheet 1 A column and then drag-duplicate the Sheet 2 A column. The problem with that is that I have other information in the A column that I can't move out of the way (not conveniently, anyway), and also, because I want to be able to manipulate all the information in Sheet 2 by simply making a change to Sheet 1, A1.

Traditionally, I've just copy and pasted the =Sheet1!A1 text into each cell that needs it, but for a column 300 cells (or more) it is an ugly burden that I'd like to avoid.

So if there is a trick to be able to paste =Sheet1!A1 into a range of cells all at once, I'd be grateful for the knowledge.

Thank you for being patient with my non-MEP request.

Worse comes to worst, I'll build a macro that does:

Repeat start = 300 times

Text Type =Sheet1!A1

arrow down

Repeat End

Hey look! That's ME related! phew!

You can in Sheet2, select A1:A300, entry an array formula, =Sheet1!$A$1, then press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.

You can in Sheet2, select A1:A300, entry an array formula, =Sheet1!$A$1, then press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.

Eric... you are a genius! Lifesaver!

I did end up just building a macro that did exactly as I explained in my original post, but this information will save me the trouble when I need to build/modify spreadsheets in the future.

Thank you VERY much!