Macro Express Forums

HotKey macro too slow

I have a macro that immediately brings up a dialog box that I enter control information into. The last version of MEP that I have been using in 4.0.1.1. When executing the macro in 4.0.1.1 the dialog box comes up immediately. In 4.1.0.1 the dialog box comes up very slowly. I cannot use 4.1.0.1 because it takes so long. Fast execution of this macro is essential to my operations.

I have returned to using 4.0.1.1

Jeff Cleveland

I have a macro that immediately brings up a dialog box that I enter control information into. The last version of MEP that I have been using in 4.0.1.1. When executing the macro in 4.0.1.1 the dialog box comes up immediately. In 4.1.0.1 the dialog box comes up very slowly. I cannot use 4.1.0.1 because it takes so long. Fast execution of this macro is essential to my operations.

I have returned to using 4.0.1.1

Jeff Cleveland

Sounds like you are experiencing the lagging macro problem that I brought up in this post.

I ran the test in the post indicated in the reply. I added a BEEP at the beginning of the macro. I get the BEEP immediately but the dialog box lags by a few seconds.

I found where the problem lies.

My original code was:

Variable Restore: Restore Text Variables

Variable Set String: Prompt for value

When I move Variable Set String above the Variable Restore, the problem disappears. Evidently the Variable Restore has some long delay.

Unfortunately, I need the Variable Restore before the Prompt.

Jeff Cleveland

This has come up several times now. My suggestion is to not use Variable Save/Restore. First off it is slow and problematic and secondly with the new variable system there's usually no reason to use it anymore. Is there some reason you can't use the new variables, registry, files to effect what you want to do? I mean the new release fixes so many things and adds so many new features it would be a shame to miss out on them.