Macro Express Forums

Really havew to reboot after instllation?

Yes. Generally everything will work but there are still some old and very important bits that are not changed until the reboot. There is a way to avoid the reboot but honestly it's more work than rebooting and it's more for mass deployments. Details in the ISS KB I believe.

Yes. Generally everything will work but there are still some old and very important bits that are not changed until the reboot. There is a way to avoid the reboot but honestly it's more work than rebooting and it's more for mass deployments. Details in the ISS KB I believe.

I found this: http://www.macros.com/faq//5.12.html

But it references rebooting after an "uninstall". I guess the same thing would apply though. If mexhook.dll is locked it won't get replaced with the new version (assuming mexhook.dll changed w/ a new rev) until after a reboot.

If the installer suggests that you reboot, you should reboot!

It is true that sometimes (and maybe even many times) you can 'get away' without rebooting. But, if you do not reboot when asked you run the risk of running Macro Express Pro or Macro Express with an incompatible version of the hook (mexhook.dll). Innumerable support requests are resolved by rebooting.

Why? - Technical details for those so inclined:

In order to do the things it does, Macro Express establishes an interface with Windows using the Windows 'Hooks'. The dll file named mexhook.dll establishes this interface. As your other applications (Word, Excel, IE, Firefox, etc.) run, every program that allows user input via the keyboard or mouse includes an interface to mexhook.dll. If even a single program window is interfaced with mexhook.dll when you start to install Macro Express, the mexhook.dll file cannot be replaced by the installer until your computer is rebooted.

One way that sometimes helps you avoid having to reboot after installing Macro Express is to close all running programs and Macro Express itself before beginning the install. The first panel of the Macro Express installation program suggests this.