Macro Express Forums

Another seizure symptom

I have a macro which simply grabs the title of the topmost window title, application and a logs to a file. I do not use any Variable Restores. It is distributed and runs every minute and is instantaneous. For some time now I've been noticing when I reconnect to a disconnected Terminal Server session The Forrest icon will be in the system tray and if I hover it claims this macro is running. However it never goes away even though it's responsive. I eventually have to resort to killing MEP and restarting. I reckoned it was just something to do with the TS but I've seen it a couple of time on other normal desktop sessions on user's workstations.

Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone think this might be related to the other slow down issue we have been seeing?

I know that at least some of these systems do not have the latest version so I do not want to officially report it yet but I wanted to see if anyone else has seen this.

I have a macro which simply grabs the title of the topmost window title, application and a logs to a file. I do not use any Variable Restores. It is distributed and runs every minute and is instantaneous. For some time now I've been noticing when I reconnect to a disconnected Terminal Server session The Forrest icon will be in the system tray and if I hover it claims this macro is running. However it never goes away even though it's responsive. I eventually have to resort to killing MEP and restarting. I reckoned it was just something to do with the TS but I've seen it a couple of time on other normal desktop sessions on user's workstations.

Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone think this might be related to the other slow down issue we have been seeing?

I know that at least some of these systems do not have the latest version so I do not want to officially report it yet but I wanted to see if anyone else has seen this.

I used to have the hanging Forrest in early versions of MEP, and it is back with the latest version, though I've only noticed it once. He didn't affect my work-flow or the functionality of my macros, though, so I ignored him. Until ME crashed. At that point I sent a bug report and relaunched the program. This was on Thursday or Friday, I believe, so it hasn't been a huge nightmare for me like some of the crashes I was getting on the last version.

• 1 month later...
I used to have the hanging Forrest in early versions of MEP, and it is back with the latest version, though I've only noticed it once. He didn't affect my work-flow or the functionality of my macros, though, so I ignored him. Until ME crashed. At that point I sent a bug report and relaunched the program. This was on Thursday or Friday, I believe, so it hasn't been a huge nightmare for me like some of the crashes I was getting on the last version.

I'm also having the same issue.

Mark Overman

I'm seeing a lot of it now..............................................

I don't know if I am seeing more of it because of rolling out version 4.1 but there's a lot of it out there. I'm almost positive no macro is running yet Forrest is. And not just on Terminal Server. I've seen it on several machines at my biggest client. Only way to get back to normal is to terminate MEP and restart.

I'm seeing a lot of it now..............................................

I don't know if I am seeing more of it because of rolling out version 4.1 but there's a lot of it out there. I'm almost positive no macro is running yet Forrest is. And not just on Terminal Server. I've seen it on several machines at my biggest client. Only way to get back to normal is to terminate MEP and restart.

1) After seeing the running man icon, if you quickly sort all macros by Last Run Time, does that offer a clue?

2) You might try Process Lassoo, as per my recent post.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I don't think that will work..........................................................

Last run time isn't the same as last finish time so I don't think that will be much help. Instead I'm going to enable logging and check out the start/stop times.

Friday I was working on a macro that made me suspect for the firs time that the tray icon is not the problem but rater the macro was not finishing. It was a brand new macro that goes around and compresses a bunch of old log files and such with 7Zip. Turns out the IBM tape drive really slows down with lots of small files. In that macro some temp files and such are created and I noticed that although the macro looked like it was finished it evidently stopped at one of the very last commands. No errors, not time outs, no nothing. It's probably something I got wrong in the macro but I had to leave and couldn't research it further. I had no seizure symptoms but the Forrest (tray icon) symptom matched what I've been seeing on other machines.

I don't think that will work..........................................................

Last run time isn't the same as last finish time so I don't think that will be much help. Instead I'm going to enable logging and check out the start/stop times.

Maybe I misunderstood, but from "I'm almost positive no macro is running yet Forrest is," I'm suggesting that a recent entry under Last Run Time would show if an unplanned macro was running. If there was no such very recent entry, then it would confirm your assumption.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Let me clarify........................................................

I have a macro that runs every 60 seconds and does a really simple thing. Takes a fraction of a second. I often come to a computer and find the tray icon reporting that it is running when I suspect it is not.

I’m having trouble understanding what you’re saying about an unplanned macro start time being logged. But I’m interested because it sounds like you might have an idea here. By “unplanned macro” do you mean another macro somehow affecting the one in question.

The only way I can think of making use of the last run time is if the macro is hung and not the tray icon that MEP would not try to run it again so it’s last run time would get stuck at a point. Is that what you are suggesting? If so that could be a little useful. Also this macro logs a single entry to a file so I should check that next time to see if the entries are continuing.

Another problem with Last Run is that 30 users share this macro and the updates occur every 60 seconds each so that last run time will be updated by other users.

It's just the tray icon getting stuck.

I have a machine with the tray icon stuck. I checked the macro log files and it’s running normally. I enabled logging of errors and I see it starting and less than a second later stopping every minute like it’s supposed to and it is. So this makes a strong case that it’s the tray icon that’s stuck.

The only odd thing I saw was that the macro was periodically tardy exactly 10 seconds. About every half dozen runs or so. However I don’t think it’s relevant. Probably just a scheduling conflict.

One of the macros I run most frequently is invoked with Ctrl-Alt-B. Sometimes this doesn't work, and the reason is always that the previous execution of this macro is "still running" according to St. Forrest! Killing the macro so that Forrest goes back to bed always allows me to rerun the macro.

I think this is a different case then

For people with the frozen Forrest clicking does nothing. I think yours is a different problem. Also I think this has gone a little off topic. I started with the seizure problem and noticed that it might coincide with the Forrest getting stuck but now I'm almost certain they're unrelated.